cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phones well away from ROuter and Router in Modem Mode !!

cjthebrave
Tuning in

Two issues with the Fibre Phone switch proposals for me - what are the / are there any  workarounds,

(a) I have my phone at the opposite end of the house on a different floor from the router so can't plug it in without substantial wiring. (Unless I use my network - see below)

(b) I have my router in Modem Mode (phone wont connnect this way) as I have fully managed Router, Firewall, Switches and Mesh WiFi of my own as the Virgin Router doesn't give me enough flexibility / management. Can I configure my network to take / route the phone connection?

Are Virgin saying these are no - no's and potentially saying they don't want my business ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

The phone actually does still work connected to the hub, even if the latter is in modem mode.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

The phone actually does still work connected to the hub, even if the latter is in modem mode.

TrialsTeam

Hi @cjthebrave,

Thank you for your post. We have more information on the switchover here and also here.

However, if you need any additional help or assistance not covered in these links, please let us know and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Hi jem101,

Thanks for your reply.

Is this a fact ? I did read somewhere in the forum / tech pages that phones connected in Mode mode wouldn't work - though can't see why not since RJ45's and RJ11's appear to be separated at the rear of the router and hence 'probably' segragated inside.

But if the phone section relies on routing that is only functional in Router mode then I'm stuffed !!

Regards

CJ

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The phoneline still works when in modem mode