cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just been switched over to 21cv and am not very happy

VM001
Dialled in

Hi,

I had to have an engineer visit because my phone is in the hallway and an old superhub 2 is in the upstairs study.  I booked an engineer appointment and was assured that the engineer would be able to supply an extension cable so that the new router he installed could stay in the study and the phone in the hallway.

Well, what a disaster.   Apparently I was told a pack of lies by CS because the engineer does not carry any extension cables.  So my phone base unit, whilst working, is on the edge of an already cluttered desk, and I have to PAY AT MY OWN EXPENSE and spend the time to route a cable to the hallway.

Not very happy at all.  Virgin forced this on me - they should have made it all good.  

So a new cable will cost around about £10 out of my own pocket. 

But I am still confused -  do I have to buy a BT extension cable or will an RJ11 to RJ11 work?  The Panasonic base unit has a RJ11 socket, so can I just remove the adaptor from the hub 3 and plug the other end of the RJ11 to RJ11 cable into the router, and will it work?

Thanks for reading and sorry about the rant. 🙂

17 REPLIES 17

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @VM001,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that there's been some complications and inconvenience caused by the 21CV switchover of your landline services. This is a change that will be gradually going ahead with all of our customers and that's also happening with all other providers in the UK. You can read more about that here.

In regards to your home set up and installation you can find some more information here, but essentially you would need to have the main phone (if you have multiple portable DECT handsets) connected directly into the Hub itself via the adapter.

If you have any additional queries or concerns, please do let us know and we'll do what we can to help.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thank you for the generic reply.

I've look at all that already.  I was told that an engineer would run an extension cable, and he can't apparently.

So I was asking a sensible question as to which extension cable I need - as I do not want to buy the wrong one and have even more expense.  

Your 'answer' was nothing more than a stock copy and paste.  

I was hoping for a proper reply to address the issues I have, not be fobbed off.

Hi @VM001,

It's a shame to hear that you feel this way. The last link I provided to you regarding the set up tells you what cable you need to use that would plug into the adapter and then which port on the router you'd plug said adapter into.

Did the technician advise during their visit why they were unable to help assist with your current install and set up?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

The last link was as clear as mud.  Just a load of people asking and not really a solution given apart from make sure the cable has the same ends.

The technician said they do not carry extension cables and the only solution, unless I wanted to buy my own cable, was to accept that the base unit has to go on my cluttered desk - so that is what he did before he rode off into the sunset.

Virgin is meant to be a premium brand - so why do I have to accept this botched setup unless I pay for more cables out of my own pocket (of which I am still not sure is the correct one).

I have now spent 3 hours researching this and am still none the wiser.

Really fed up with Virgin at the moment.

I've looked again at your links, and the final question in the thread here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone-Switchover/Everything-You-Need-To-Know/td-p/475733...

by mykewright:

"Our DECT base station has a RJ11 connector already fitted with a cable that terminates in a BT 631A 6-way plug, as you would expect for a UK domestic product. Can we simply replace this cable with a RJ11 to RJ11 cable of the correct length and forego using the VM supplied RJ11 to 631A 6-way socket?" 

is the question I have as well.

Can you please either answer the question, or just say that you do not know?

Hi @VM001,

It's the main post in that thread that advises the cable you need to connect to the adapter, and states "Once the landline cable has been attached to the adapter, you'll need to plug this into the first grey on your hub (also known as RJ11)."

If possible, we can try to rearrange the wiring in the home to help accommodate set ups like what you have mentioned. If that's not possible then your landline and Hub would need to be in a close enough proximity to connect.

Did the technician state why this was not possible during their visit?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

You said "Did the technician state why this was not possible during their visit?"  

and I have already replied several times to this question - he said that the engineers are not supplied with cables to carry this out.

Honestly, this conversation is just going round and round in circles. 😞

Hi @VM001,

To clarify, I was referring to if they explained at all why they were unable to potentially change some wiring in the home.

I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so we can take some additional details. Please respond to this when you can and we'll proceed from there with this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

OK.  Let's take this private, but I have already told you all he said to me.