cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything You Need To Know

TrialsTeam

Adapter
Before you move to our fibre landline service as part of this migration, we’ll let you know in writing around three months before the migration takes place in your area. Our letter will provide more details on why this is happening.

Around 3 weeks before the migration, you'll receive an email and a text with further info on how to order your adapter. Once you have the adapter, you can use it to plug your phone into your hub.

Router Plugin Port
Once the landline cable has been attached to the adapter, you’ll need to plug this into the first grey on your hub (also known as RJ11).

Please don’t plug the adapter into the yellow ports, these are only for ethernet (RJ45) connections. You must ensure that you plug your landline with the adapter into port 1, which will be the top one.

TrialsTeam_0-1624620353529.jpeg

Handset compatibility
Any corded or cordless landline handset should work with our adapter, with the small exception of a few much older models. If your handset wasn’t working previously via a wall socket and doesn't work when connected to your hub with the adapter, this is an issue with the handset and we would advise trying a different model in the first instance.

If you have multiple portable DECT handsets in the home then you will only need to connect the master handset into your hub with the adapter, meaning it needs to be located near the hub.

If you have multiple handsets that aren’t portable and connect to extension sockets in your home then you may need a technician visit to make some in-home wiring changes.

Broadband service
Your landline & broadband services run on separate channels, so having both running through your hub won’t impact the quality of your broadband service.

78 REPLIES 78

I'll send you a PM so we can take some details and check if a technician visit may be needed to make some in-home wiring changes.

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ayisha_B

As you will note from my post 9 hours ago I have exactly the same problem as Ambey.

It is not possible to use a total cordless system, as I have 2 boxes with traditional phones.

Therefore, I need the current devices working, as they are now, on this new system you are introducing.

Thanks

wwtp1313

Can someone please reply to my message above!!!

Hi wwtp1313,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. Apologies that your message was not responded to sooner.

As you too have advised it may not be possible to have a total cordless system, we may have to arrange for an engineer to attend to make some wiring changes for you also.

Due to this, I will pop you over a private message to take some details, please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

thompa
Up to speed

Hi there,

We have just been advised our home phone service is changing to 'fibrephone' in January 2023.

Our modem is set to 'modem only' mode so we can use a mesh WiFi system. Can the 'fibrephone' be used with our Hub 3.0 in this mode?

We will be out of the country in January, 2023. Is it possible to connect now?

Thanks in anticipation.

Allan

Good Afternoon @thompa, the question you've posted in relation to the modem mode feature has been answered on another thread you have posted on - here

In relation to your second question, have we provided any date ranges to you in January for the switching over?

This would be phased over, and can stretch over a couple of weeks.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

What's this adapter, and please tell me I can still use my 3rd party router.

I have my hub in modem mode.

Hey mitch84,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

The adapter is to be able to use your existing handset, when your phone line changes to the fibre network, you can still use your hub in modem mode with a phone plugged in to it.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

ambey
On our wavelength

The phone will work only of it is a modern electronic phone.

Older pulse dial phones will not work. Thanks virgin.......

As regards a proper explanation of the impact of this switchover on households with existing Master+Extension socket wiring, who do not just have one phone which is positioned near the hub.

Please see the discussion on Page 3 of this thread.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Phone-switchover-to-21CV/m-p/5301255/highlight/false...

Regards

Steve