cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything You Need To Know

TrialsTeam

Adapter
Before you move to our fibre landline service as part of this migration, we’ll let you know in writing around three months before the migration takes place in your area. Our letter will provide more details on why this is happening.

Around 3 weeks before the migration, you'll receive an email and a text with further info on how to order your adapter. Once you have the adapter, you can use it to plug your phone into your hub.

Router Plugin Port
Once the landline cable has been attached to the adapter, you’ll need to plug this into the first grey on your hub (also known as RJ11).

Please don’t plug the adapter into the yellow ports, these are only for ethernet (RJ45) connections. You must ensure that you plug your landline with the adapter into port 1, which will be the top one.

TrialsTeam_0-1624620353529.jpeg

Handset compatibility
Any corded or cordless landline handset should work with our adapter, with the small exception of a few much older models. If your handset wasn’t working previously via a wall socket and doesn't work when connected to your hub with the adapter, this is an issue with the handset and we would advise trying a different model in the first instance.

If you have multiple portable DECT handsets in the home then you will only need to connect the master handset into your hub with the adapter, meaning it needs to be located near the hub.

If you have multiple handsets that aren’t portable and connect to extension sockets in your home then you may need a technician visit to make some in-home wiring changes.

Broadband service
Your landline & broadband services run on separate channels, so having both running through your hub won’t impact the quality of your broadband service.

78 REPLIES 78

Egret
Joining in

Hi

Virgin have asked me to buy an extension lead (router upstairs: phone downstairs) which Virgin will install.  Am I correct in thinking that it should have RJ11 connectors at both ends?

Thanks

Hi @Egret,

As advised in the above post, we would recommend (where possible) keeping the router and the landline as close as possible as it just makes things a lot easier and less complicated.

If you are going to use an extension then you would need to ensure that the correct socket types are on both ends so that it will connect to the two pieces of equipment respectively.

Thanks,

ambey
On our wavelength

I have 5 virgin installed phone sockets, all over the house. Each with a device connected to them. How will the new fibre system work?

Hi amber, did you find an answer to your question?  I have a friend who was just switched to this new system and they are being asked to pay to have their extensions set up by a technician even though the change is being forced upon them. That seems very unreasonable to me.

ambey
On our wavelength

hi, have had no reply from anybody.

It's seems highly unreasonable to ask the customer to pay for any extra work to accommodate Virgin changes.

I have a similar issue to Ambey. My home phone system has several Virgin Media sockets around the house which are fed directly from a cable coming from the outside box. The main socket fed by this external cable is nowhere near my Router. How will I get these sockets working after switchover?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ambey, 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community!

Sorry for the delays in response, with regard to the extension phones, as stated above do you have any DECT handsets in the property?

Thanks,

Kain

ambey
On our wavelength

All phones and devices are direct plug in to extension sockets fitted by Virgin to the main external box.

Ambey

I have 3 sockets in the house. 1 has a DECT handset the other 2  have traditional phones.