cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections on new landline hub

brocoli
Tuning in

Hello, I have now received my letter about replacing the VM Hub to enable the landline to work on fibre cabling. Can anyone confirm that the new hub will still have 4 ethernet sockets? Its just that my desktop connects to the existing hub via Cat. 6 ethernet cable rather than by wireless. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey brocoli, thanks for reaching out on our help forums about this change and for asking our advice.

We're glad to assist, please visit this page here for more on the home phone switchover process and how we can support you.

As your area is due to migrate to line via fibre soon, we'll shortly send our an adaptor to use on the telephone port at the back of your hub too.

Please, have a read above and see if you'd need more help with your set up or if you have any concerns and we'll be eager to advise further.

Lastly, as you've got an old hub which is not compatible with this service you'll get this swapped for one of our newest hubs as seen on this link here.

You'll be able to view all our newest hubs' specs on this page and find out how many ports there are for ethernet on each of them, let us know if you have more questions and we'll do our best to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey brocoli, thanks for reaching out on our help forums about this change and for asking our advice.

We're glad to assist, please visit this page here for more on the home phone switchover process and how we can support you.

As your area is due to migrate to line via fibre soon, we'll shortly send our an adaptor to use on the telephone port at the back of your hub too.

Please, have a read above and see if you'd need more help with your set up or if you have any concerns and we'll be eager to advise further.

Lastly, as you've got an old hub which is not compatible with this service you'll get this swapped for one of our newest hubs as seen on this link here.

You'll be able to view all our newest hubs' specs on this page and find out how many ports there are for ethernet on each of them, let us know if you have more questions and we'll do our best to help.

Adri
Forum Team

Many thanks Adri, it looks like both Hub 4 and Hub 5 have a number of ethernet connections so it should all be very straightforward. I will however come back to the forum if I need any further advice. As I only have limited technical knowledge of all things IT I do appreciate having access to this kind of Forum.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey brocoli, thanks so much for the reply and for letting us know this helps with your question. 🙂

We're delighted to have you on board here at the VM community and you may feel free to get back to us here, as a valuable forum member, for help or advice.

We're always eager to support you in the best way we can, just give us a shout if you need anything.

Best regards,

Adri
Forum Team

Nik_52
Dialled in

I, too, have an old Superhub, a "v2.39.02" without those grey 'modem' sockets as found on 'big' printers.

I'm already paying for 125 fibre so, IIRC, I qualify for free hub upgrade prior to switch-over.
How do I order a new hub ??

Also, my existing Virgin phone line comes in downstairs, from back of house to central DECT & Aid-Call base-stations and their UPS, while my broadband cable comes in front of house, upstairs to this desk. Happens I've a 10 metre Cat5/6 lain between for garden's IPCAMs as our house bricks swallow WiFi and txt. In fact, I've a 'Desk With No Bars', have a 'tamed & tethered' LTE router window-hung to provide 2FA txts...

Should I request an 'assessment' visit ??

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Nik_52, thanks for posting on our forum and this thread regarding your phone switchover process.

Allow me to confirm that from what I've read you'll need the below to be done for you:

a) the hub to be swapped for a newer hub (not to worry as you're eligible and we do this free of cost)
b) the hub relocated downstairs close to landline or the other way round (whichever is more convenient and practical, this can be discussed upon the visit from our engineer)

Unfortunately, we don't offer assessment visits but if you want we can assist with booking you in for a landline migration visit from our engineer who will help with all the above and ensure you're set up for our 21CV line (via fibre). 

We'll also arrange for them to have an adaptor to provide if you haven't received one yet.

Upon booking this for you we'll ensure we've assessed what's needed amongst other info that requires confirming with you.

Please, pop back to confirm if you wish to go ahead and I can send you a PM to make arrangements.

Adri
Forum Team

Thank you.

I contacted my aid-call provider, (PPP Taking Care) who very quickly assured me that, following my free base-station upgrade a couple of years ago, it is VOIP-compatible. Just 'plug & play' via that adaptor.

But, I must fit the cable-modem with a UPS, to keep it alive 'in extremis', else upgrade to aid-call unit with 'fail-over' SIM. Given this house swallows WiFi and I had to hang a 'tamed & tethered' LTE router in window to get 2FA TXTs, latter option was non-viable.

So, I've a modest APC UPS coming from A*z*n for this desk's cable-modem.

Also a good 10 metre phone extension cable to run from this desk to the aid-call unit and DECT base-station location, which already has an APC UPS...

Soon as they're set up, I'll be in touch.

Nik

Nik_52
Dialled in

Again, thank you, Adri.

Now have modest APC 850 UPS feeding cable-modem, the 10 metre phone lead deployed, VM notified.

Due to my quirky set-up, call-handler is sending case for technical review before posting out phone adaptor or making appt to upgrade the old Superhub to VOIP-compatible model...

"More interesting than arduous..."

Nik

Thanks for keeping us updated @Nik_52 

The technician should be able to advise further and might also be able to complete the set up as needed. Please do let us know what they advise and if you need any further support at all. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Nik_52
Dialled in

Appt now booked for late next week.

Also, a call-handler kindly rang to confirm that phone socket was close to cable-modem.

As I explained, No, but Yes as I've strung / clipped a 10 metre extension from 'hither to yon', ready...

( A  second cable, as our poltercats stole still-coiled first, which only re-appeared after second arrived !! )