Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

using up data

Why is my iphone5 accessing the internet on an hourly basis, thus using up my data allowance.

I first became aware of it when I had a warning that my limit was about to be reached.

I have 1gb data and every now and then run out of data, despite very light use of internet. Mostly googling stuff when on wifi. I have capped my data so as not to be charged extra, but this should not be happening in the first place.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: using up data

Hi liverbird,

Thank you for your post. Our apologies for any confusion from this. 

If you are referring to the data usage shown on your bill then our system updates each hour to show how much usage has been used in that hour period. This doesn't mean that the data has been used on that hour exactly. 

I hope this helps. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

but it appears to be eating into my data allowance, I have 1gb data per month and am told this is quite a lot for someone who doesn't do much on my phone, I use wifi mostly, I don't stream stuff,watch films or play games or anything like that. I just google stuff and use whatsapp mostly.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If are not using your Mobile data then we would recommend to turn it off as your Mobile will use the data in the back ground for updates, etc. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why is this checking for usage using up my data?

I never used to have this problem until last year and then only noticed then because I had to go check my account cause I had a warning that my 1gb was almost used up.

I have a friend who has VM also and has only something like 300mb of data and similar usage and never had this issue. Only difference is his is an android phone and mine is an iphone5.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us liverbird,

When you use any application or websites, do you close then down or are they left open? If they're left open, they may be using data silently in the background.

If you got in to Settings > Mobile data > scroll to the bottom of the screen you will then see how much data each application has been using.

You can also reset the statistics on the handset, if you do this on your refresh date, this will allow you to monitor how much an application is using during the course of the month

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you David
I do close my apps after accessing them each time
current roaming period says 28.6kb call time 1day 18hrs
I have just reset statistics as you suggested, so will keep an eye on that.
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is a known VM fault - just search the forums for excess data use.