Menu
integerspin
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"Network Unlock Code" ? new sim

Just put my new sim card in the phone and it wants a network unlock code.

The bit of paper with the new sim suggests I visit virginmedia.com/unlock to check the number.
virginmedia.com/unlock says no such page?  Having a look on the site it looks like you need this code when changing network?  This phone has always worked with virgin.

I gave up on the contact/help pages as they take me in a circle of contact us through
something like message us and it doesn't give me a clue how to do that.

I am not much of a phone user as you may have guessed.  I just had a code to verify a login
texted to me and the phone doesn't want to work.

thanks in advance..

0 Kudos
8210GUY
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Network Unlock Code" ? new sim

I don't know what you found unless the page was down when you tried it (wouldn't be the first time a site has a page go down temp), but I googled the phrase you used, and it was the 1st result (But, never touch the first options that have Ad by them), they are simply adware, it's not malicious, but I always avoid it as too much can slow your system down, anyway the link I found is;

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/unlock-your-device

That said, I don't think you need it, the following link explains lots about this, and simply says every new sim needs to input 7890 the first time, it could be as simple as that, really annoying when you have looked for deeper issues, but try the code I just gave, then have a look at the following link to find lots of info about this, hope it helps.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-sim-unlock-pin

My brain woke up (sorry I nearly died before Xmas so not on top form), there is a serious warning with mobile codes, read the last link before anything, because if you try, or have tried to enter a code more than 3 times incorrectly, Stop, the 4th wrong entry will lock the phone needing a PUK code, you can get those within your account if that happens, but do Not guess it, you need to contact Virgin (it's the last bit of info), it looks like they are proactively putting security on your phone sim, so it is wise to change that as soon as you can, because you will need to enter it every time it powers on after the battery has gone flat, or you had simply powered it off due to being in a meeting or similar, so read the last link, it lists the points that r4elate to this.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How old is your original SIM card? I had no idea any were still about. 

If what I am reading is correct then you have the old EE based SIM card the new ones allow for the move to Vodafone. However, older phones need unlocking to work with these. 

Customer services should be able to supply as long as you have the Make, model and IMEI number and the phone was purchased from Virgin

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
integerspin
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the old sim is/was probably from 2003ish.  The new sim letter is dated August 2020, that's new.

the phone was replaced some time after the original phone.  In the background of the box asking for the code it says T Mobile.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Got you. That SIM should have been swapped a long time ago and probably will need replacing again as it will have expired.

You will need customer services to get you an unlock code, but if the phone says T-Mobile that is long time back, and a code may not be available.

Your other problem is if the account is PAYG. You have to make a call or send a text every 90 days to keep it active. If not the account may be closed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi @intergerspin. 

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some issues with your new sim. To confirm, are you trying to unlock the phone so it's compatible with the sim? If so, have you tried the link @8210GUY provided? 

When did you receive the new sim? 

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
integerspin
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The phone has worked with the old sim for something like ten years.

I got a new sim in the post in August 2020, with a  letter telling me the
old sim was going to stop working soon.  The old sim still worked a few months ago.

I tried the number 8210guy suggested. The phones response was along the lines of: the number is to short.

0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for expanding @integerspin, sorry to hear that. 

To confirm, was this the phones response when you typed 7890 when prompted for the unlock code?

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
integerspin
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I typed the number into the box for unlock code and pressed OK, it told me the number was to short and nothing else.

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think the unlock code you're using is for the SIM rather than the phone. It sounds like the phone is locked to a different network - this has been the case for most in this situation. 

I will send you over a private message so I can look into this for you 🙂 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos