cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Dial Assist Problems

fraser4
Just joined

Since I updated to iOS 11.4.1 my iPhone X attempts to use dial assist for mobile numbers which start 07.  The calls then fail with unknown number.  Any number in my contacts that's stored with +44 works fine.  If I switch dial assist off then the 07 numbers work.

I did the firmware update while in Ireland so I'm wondering if the phone thinks it's in Ireland.  I've checked and the region is set to UK.

Does anyone have any ideas?

144 REPLIES 144

rasb0
On our wavelength

R101’s fix appears to be working. 
UK number format has been retained overnight, that’s a first in many weeks!

Now to try it in my wife’s iPhone.

Still keeping fingers crossed.

Ruffchicken
On our wavelength

You know what, I’ve gone about 36 hours now without having to change it. I’m slowly starting to relax! 

R101
On our wavelength

@Ruffchicken wrote:

I’m slowly starting to relax! 

Not sure about relaxing, I feel like the act of checking number format is so ingrained within me now it's become a permanent habit I won't be able to shake for the foreseeable future, regardless of network 😆

rasb0
On our wavelength

It’s been a couple of days now without having to change regions!

R101, I think you’ve cracked it, well done and a BIG thank you!

Have a great Christmas & New Year!

Ashie2112
On our wavelength

I also took on R101’s tip as well as going through all my contacts and editing country code 44 against my UK contacts. It’s been several days now and it still seems fine.

Although today, I sent my husband a YouTube link in a message. When I checked, it had converted his mobile number to continental spacing with a country code for Belgium! 

R101
On our wavelength

Happy to hear it 😊. I haven't had the issue again either since making the change last Friday.. I'm beginning to believe.

Ashie, looking through messages I still have a few older conversations with the Belgian number format. Just a guess but I think if you sent messages to contacts while your phone had the bug there's a chance your phone saw it as a different number and created a seperate message chain/conversation for it. You can try looking through and deleting any conversations that have the +32 country code in messages to see if that helps in future.

Ruffchicken
On our wavelength

I agree, I was getting messages from my contacts, but under completely different numbers as the formatting was messed up. Most of them I combined with existing contacts. 

in a positive note, I’m 4 days in and haven’t had to change anything in all that time! 
I’m so happy 😀 

I took up this issue again with Virgin Media over the weekend.  Their almost immediate response was to offer to send out replacement SIM cards.  These arrived today and have been installed.  I’ve checked the SIM Application settings and they have reverted to the defaults.  I’m going to monitor the situation to see if the contacts formatting problem reoccurs without changing any settings.

Since changing to R101’s settings neither iPhone had contact formatting problems.

Will keep this site informed of progress with new SIM cards using default settings.

Afternoon all

Recently upgraded to an iPhone 8 on Virgin.

Number formatting was fine until yesterday when I noticed it had gone 'Belgium'

Went into settings and turned off dial assist but no change.

Read this thread and decided to use R101's advice.

Took the SIM out and put it in my old iPhone 5 while I did it, I changed a few numbers to the +44 format, then decided to refit the SIM to my 8.

Carried on doing the +44 thing, then before my eyes the number formatted itself to UK format without me doing anything.

Checked my contacts and all the numbers were back to UK style.

I'm no techie, but maybe removing the SIM and then reinserting it was the thing that worked.

derekterry
On our wavelength

I tried sim swapping, removal and replacement when I first had the problem.  It didn’t work for me on either phone both had iOS 13 installed.

The only successful fix has been the SIM Application settings suggested by R101.  That was the basis of my conversation with Virgin Mobile over the weekend.  Networks apparently have their own code associated with the SIM Application menu.  This area is sometimes referred to as SIM Toolbox.  It’s a bit of a grey area but still looking into it and monitoring any effects of the replacement SIM cards.