cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Dial Assist Problems

fraser4
Just joined

Since I updated to iOS 11.4.1 my iPhone X attempts to use dial assist for mobile numbers which start 07.  The calls then fail with unknown number.  Any number in my contacts that's stored with +44 works fine.  If I switch dial assist off then the 07 numbers work.

I did the firmware update while in Ireland so I'm wondering if the phone thinks it's in Ireland.  I've checked and the region is set to UK.

Does anyone have any ideas?

144 REPLIES 144

After being **bleep**-a-hoop for about 10 days after the factory reset, I have to report that it then reverted to same problem. 
Somebody up thread suggested that going through your contacts and putting the country dialling code in front of them (+44 for UK) seems to be a fix. Laborious I know but I’m going to give that a go. Will report back. 

Same problems here. Been trying to resolve this for months. Tried a reset but if restoring from a back up the problem is still there. Been through every iOS update and still there. This is undoubtedly only a Virgin issue as I’ve even had a 2 hour engineer call from Apple who couldn’t resolve it. Just had a new sim sent, but still there! 
at the end of my tether really 

Ha ha. Just seen that my exclamation of excitement has been partly bleeped out. Made my morning. Lol. 

I’ve been delaying the factory reset operation because I suspect the issue may well still reside in the backups if it is a setting/parameter/feature.  I’m still persisting with reboot and keeping contacts app closed. It’s not perfect but it seems to minimise the problem.

I’m avoiding a full reset also, having already tried a soft reset and restore I know it doesn’t work. I spend most of my day changing my region from the U.K. and back again! 

I think this problem is caused by 2 certificates installed in the phone settings, I think they are in mobile data or in the general settings. Both of these show BE as country of origin and are not user adjustable.

Doing a full phone reset and restore from iCloud just reinstalls these certificates so the problem returns.   

prefixing all UK numbers with +44 can help but if the phone changes region in the background you can get problems with calls not from your contacts not getting through. 
I left one of my contacts in the normal UK format (5 numbers space then 6 numbers) so I could easily see when the region had been changed. This was happening up to 6 times a day. 

I went into the Virgin store on Wednesday and explained the issue. They had heard of the issue with iPhones changing regions to  Belgium but insisted in was a iPhone problem and not a Virgin problem. 

I have had enough of this, I am missing calls and losing work because of this so I obtained my PAC on Wednesday and changed to a new phone provider.

Early days yet but now all works correctly. 

Hi Martin, 

can I ask how you found this out? Can you ‘see’ the certificates? In all the research I’ve done,  ‘Belgium’ has come up before but I did know why. 
I’m also on the cusp of going elsewhere but just a bit anxious it IS an iPhone problem after all (though why it hasn’t been picked up in the last 4 updates is confusing)

thanks for your reply 

I found it in settings under mobile data or general, it says Virgin settings or something similar, it had a green tick on it and this had a more info button that takes you to the certificates which is just lots of settings that the phone needs. You will not do any harm to them by looking for them. Sorry if this is not much help, I should have made a note of how to get to them before I got my new SIM card. 

If I remember they are under settings-profiles?
. I remember I had about 2/3 of Virgin ones and I deleted them ages ago as I suspected those too...I thought they got installed when I was setting up for 4G, but I can’t quite remember. 
fact is, mine have been deleted and it didn’t resolve the issue...? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Let us know how you go with a new provider as I’d love to not have to worry about this anymore! 
cheers 

We can't be sure if it is a phone problem or a Virgin problem but I'm nearly 100% sure its a Virgin problem as it goes away if you change networks. I realise if you are under contract you are stuck but you could get a PAYG sim from another provider and try that. If the issue goes away you could possibly use that as evidence to get out of your contract.

Edit: If you look back you'll see I said my mate changed over a month ago and the problem went away.