cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi no longer visible on London underground

ruswit
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

I noticed for the first time today that the usual virgin media WiFi network isn't there on the tube.

Is this being phased out?

[MOD EDIT: Please see update on post 111 here]

141 REPLIES 141

I left virgin mobile yesterday, happily, because of this mess up. I also had the same feeling after leaving the god awful tv service 3 years ago. Customer service is also absolute zero. I have been tempted back twice over the years by rock bottom prices, despite having a shtshow of a first experience 18 years ago with a dodgy doorstep virgin media salesman. NEVER AGAIN 🙂 

I hope you all manage to get out of the contracts relatively easily, or switch over to o2 asap. 

iXNine
Dialled in

Yes, but the thing is that by switching to O2, you're just switching to another part of Virgin – they're now the same company and have been so since June 2021 when they merged. Are people really thinking anything is going to be different once they drop the convenient illusion of being two separate entities? Of course they're not going to care if you switch to O2, because you're not really going anywhere. I'm waiting to see what's happening before I jump from one fire straight into... err... the same fire.

To be honest them being the same company would make it all the most ridiculous and annoying that this situation has arisen. 

Please can someone help me with this 

Hi there @sianaiken94 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see your issue hasn't been resolved, would you be able to expand on what you need help with as I can't see another public message on this thread? We'll be happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

I find it hard to believe that iPhones have been left behind even for a minute. I have an Android device and successfully got this working, but the how wasn't immediately apparent. I'm an EE user and so I connected to EE-WIFI (AUTO) but it challenged me for the usual WiFi password. It turns out the very first option on the password screen is called "authentication type" (which I think was set EAP or something like that) This is a drop down box, and about 2 thirds the way down was the option SIM. I chose that and true enough it connected automatically, no password required, and it auto reconnects as I pass from station to station. 👍

Hi folks 

I work in London at least once a week and have noticed a while ago WiFi on my iPhone no longer works when I am on London Underground.

I did a search on the forum and got in touch with someone from Virgin Mobile via WhatsApp to see if I can move to O2 earlier. However, they were not much use.

I’ve lost out on a few messages and been not be able to work as much as I could have done with the WiFi on the Tube.

Is there any chance I can me moved to O2 ASAP please?

Thanks

AlexDee123
Tuning in

If I wanted to order a new Virgin SIM card that I could use on the London underground, how can I make sure I receive an O2 SIM and not a Virgin one if I sign up for a Virgin plan? There doesn't seem to be an option to choose when ordering online and I'm not looking to sign up to an O2 plan. 

Hi AlexDee123, 👋 Welcome back to community! Thank you for joining the thread and posting. 

If you take out VM mobile services you will now receive an O2 SIM. 

Your plan is with Virgin Mobile, but the network and SIM being used is O2 - hope this makes sense and answers your question! 

You can see more info on Virgin mobile offers here 👉 Virgin Mobile Official Site | Virgin Media and you can contact the mobile sales team via 📞 0800 052 0238. 

Let us know if there is anything else we can offer help with! Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Hi Molly, 

Many thanks for your feedback.

The reason I was asking is that I recently signed up for a Virgin plan and received a Virgin SIM instead of an O2 SIM, meaning I wouldn't be able to access the London Underground network. So I ended up availing of my 14 day cooling off period and returned the SIM.

So my question is, is there any way to make sure I receive an O2 SIM when signing up for a Virgin plan as this doesn't seem to be automatic?

Thanks and regards, 

Alex