Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Why do I have two mobile phone numbers?

Hi there

I started a new contract with Virgin about a year and a half ago (36 month contract iphone 7) and asked if I could keep my old number from another network. All fine and yes I'm still on that old number. However, a couple of days ago, a friend asked me if I'd changed my number as a different number came up on her iphone. It's the number that was originally supplied with my new contract with Virgin. Bit confused as to why this is. Can anyone advise me?

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do I have two mobile phone numbers?

*edit* - I've just seen another post on a similar topic. I have two numbers on my apple id but I can't remove the number Virgin issued to me. It says that this is my imessage and facetime number. To remove it I need to deregister the number.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi meraki

Hoping this may help you

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/362782/i-can-t-remove-my-old-phone-number-from-imessage-or...

can I just check if you've tried the steps in this Apple Support document? It seems it might answer your question. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201349

The steps laid out there for removing your old phone number are as follows.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Select your Apple ID and tap Sign Out. Then go to Settings > FaceTime, select your Apple ID and tap Sign Out.

If the phone number that you want to remove belongs to an iPhone that you can't access, change your Apple ID password. This removes all phone numbers from your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. Calls or messages for the removed numbers won't appear on those devices anymore.

The steps to add a new phone number are as follows.

1) Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.

2) Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.

3) In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.

4) Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached at" section.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

Tried the above and still no joy. It's my old number I want to keep, not remove.  The new (Virgin issued) number is the one I want to remove and it says I can't do that. (It's greyed out.) I need to deregister this number. 

0 Kudos