cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin monthly to O2 monthly sim swap query

angela65
On our wavelength

Hi, I've just changed my virgin media package, which included a sim, and have been moved to O2. I wanted to keep my number and was advised, whilst on the phone, that the pac code had been generated and was sorted, I didn't need to do anything, just change sims when my new one arrived. O2 sim arrived with very little information but, I switched the sim, typed 'SWAP', followed instructions and got a message saying I was good to go. The sim is working fine but I've now swapped back to my old one as I need my old number. My question is, what happens about porting my number across - will this just happen? Do I just wait until my current sim stops working then change sims? I was told my current mobile account settings would be the same for the O2 account but, whatever I do I am unable to access anything regarding the O2 mobile account, again, do I have to wait until the number has been ported before I can access the O2 online account? Thanks in advance for any help on this subject 🙂

52 REPLIES 52

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there angela65,

Again my apologies for the experience here.

If any further issues appear, be sure to contact us again and we'll pick it up.

Thanks,

Kain

angela65
On our wavelength

Much appreciated Kain, as I'm getting older I find this kind of thing preys on my mind until sorted - glad I joined the Virgin Community though as it's helped me with 2 issues this week!  Loving the suppport given on here 🤗

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can definitely understand where you're coming from with that,

I'm so glad that our team here is providing the support you require!

Thanks,

Kain

Going through the same issue.

The lack of clear information is the worst issue, I just called O2 who said the port wasn't setup, I checked on the virginmobile website and in my account I found the PAC. I didn't get it via SMS either. Agent just said "put the new sim in and it will work on your old number"

Billing has been messed up (agent had to remove the 1Gig VOLT benefit and revert my account to Ultimate Oomph to be able to apply the discounts), this has resulted in a much higher bill this month (£140). The advisor assured me that next month I wont pay anything, and the month after would be reduced.

The whole renegotiation has been a real "faf"! Numerous calls, phone call cuts off after explaining the situation several times, whatsapp chats are frankly useless, I got a satisfactory deal I am happy with, hopefully the agent has done everything correctly to apply the charges, next few bills will be hard to figure out!

In short, there needs to be a procedure and clear instructions/advice to customers who are in the same situation as this, I'd guess may customers on UO with packaged virginmobile sims will be in the same situation soon.

Also, why do I have to have a separate O2 account (with credit check and direct debit), for a part of the Virgin Media package? Agent said it was a "soft" credit check, Ill check my credit score because I doubt a new SIM contract is subject to a "soft" check. The VirginMobile SIM had a separate account, but I didn't need a new direct debit?

Hopefully my number will port on Tuesday (too late for Monday now after 17.30 Friday).

Happy with my deal, its just took too long to sort it, and its still not 100% there!

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi philce,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community! 

Really sorry for the experience faced, just to touch on the direct debits, although the package is offered through Virgin to set up, to ensure the benefits are given, we set you up on both platforms.

From checking our service I can see that everything seems to be set for the port. 

If there's anymore queries, then pop up to us and we'll advise further.

Thanks,

Kain

Hi Angela,

Thanks for your message to Kain and for testing a different resolution. He won't be back on shift for a while, so I'm just picking up some of his PMs.

Can I ask if you've tried switching round your TV boxes to see if the issue either follows the box, or remains on the same TV? This would be really helpful in identifying exactly what's causing the issue.

Many thanks

Beth

angela65
On our wavelength

Hi Beth,

No, not tried that yet but will give it a go - will come back to you after a couple of days viewing with an update.

Thanks,

Angela

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @angela65,

Thank you for coming back to us. Keep us updated on how you get and we'll be able to help further. 🙂

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Jurasik
Dialled in

Hi. I've just changed over from a VM sim to an O2 sim as part of an upgrade too (this evening) and was also told that the number port would happen automatically. No change yet, but it's only been a few hours. Is it the norm for this to happen or does the port have to be done manually, at the request of the customer?

Hi @Jurasik,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

If you're porting over to another network then it can take 24 hours from the date that the port is requested to go through, and that won't begin until the next working day at the earliest. If you're porting to O2 then I'd recommend contacting them directly as they can look into it and confirm. You can reach them on 0344 809 0202 (or 202 from an O2 handset).

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!