Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile - 4G Throttled Video Streaming

It would appear that Virgin Mobile are bandwidth throttling some types of traffic like Video streaming such as YouTube when tethered over the 4G network - I have not yet tested from a handset only.

Some of my YouTube videos keep buffering over adequate 4G data signal but as soon as I connect a VPN over my tethered connection the buffering is eliminated completely, speed tests produce a result of 49/50Mbps which is the maximum data rate for 4G customers.

Please can Virgin advise why such traffic is being bandwidth throttled!

YouTube - With VPN.PNGYouTube - Without VPN.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Mobile - 4G Throttled Video Streaming

Hi there rasseru16, thanks for your post.

We don't throttle any 4G speeds on the sims.

Are you finding you are having this indoors or outdoors?

Thanks

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Some things definitely seem restricted and throttled, my whatsapp only gets new messages after a few minutes on 4G, yet when on 4G through a VPN it's instant.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi there toasty772, 

Are you able to run through some diagnostics for these issues here? virg.in/phonefix.

Thanks

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I've already posted about the issues I'm facing, one of your team suggested a replacement SIM card which didn't help, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Although there is overall traffic data management on 4G, there is this as detailed in the Virgin Mobile traffic management policy help article:
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

What does Video Optimisation mean?
Video Optimisation works by delivering video at a data rate just above the rate required for playing that video, streaming the same content at a gentler pace while ensuring smooth playback at the best suitable quality for your connection speed. This also means quicker video loading times and less buffering on your device.

The primary purpose of this is to enhance the mobile video experience for you while delivering videos most efficiently through our network. You can still watch HD videos when streaming and up to 4K on 4K capable devices.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's this "Video Optimisation" that is making my HD streams useless... my videos keep buffering despite having 50Mbps+ Download speeds.

How can we put an end to this so called "Video Optimisation" as clealy using a VPN magically resolves any buffering issues I am experiencing.

It makes no difference whether i'm indoors or outdoors, I consistently get over 50Mbps on a 4G speed test.
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Also I am delighted that Virgin have very recently increased the maximum possible download and upload speeds but the Video Optimisation is making HD streaming painful at times.

virgin_max_speed_jpg.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Please see my recent post number 7.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@rasseru16,

No wonder streaming is extremely slow. Maybe I should use VPN as well. Which server were you connected to? UK?
0 Kudos