cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone in America

kd1876
Just joined

Hi, We're due to go on holiday to Florida and trying to figure out the best way to use our phones when across there.

I have found out there are no bolt ons from Virgin for data in the USA, but we're trying to find out if our phones are unlocked so we can use a USA SIM.  Doesn't seem to be a way to contact virgin to find out, so hoping someone may know if Virgin lock their phones or not.  We're both on Virgin, so don't have access to another network SIM to see........

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin don't lock their phones, all the times I have been to the US I turn data off, there's plenty of Wi-Fi in hotels and every restaurant 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin don't lock their phones, all the times I have been to the US I turn data off, there's plenty of Wi-Fi in hotels and every restaurant 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @kd1876

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issue, as advised above - we do not lock our phones so you would be able to use an alternative SIM for your trip.

Have a great holiday! 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Going to USA on a fly-drive holiday .   £5 per Mb seems ultra costly for data.   Can use wifi as much as possible when in hotels etc but will need data to use Google Maps SatNav to find our way around.

Have £7 per month for 6Gb data and unlimited calls/texts at moment in UK/EU.   Contacted O2 but their deals which include USA roaming start at £19.99 per month which would be fine for USA but then wasted in UK for rest of 24 month period.

Any ideas?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally I wouldn't bother. Plenty of free WiFi and you can use the likes of WhatsApp to call and message.

if you do want to  call using your phone 4G Calling (VoLTE)  needs to be active to work on US networks,

I've thought about free wifi for messaging etc but it is the satnav issue that gets me most.   In UK Google Maps on phone tells me about traffic delays etc and uses  data which is included in my package but £5 per Mb for data is a lot when using it satnav around California/Arizona.