cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using mobile in USA

Morney
Joining in

I have made the error by switching on my international roaming on the app and spending cap off. But still can’t get mobile to work in the USA. Can’t call customer care to resolve for have no phone. 

anyone on here tat could help?

Thanks

Morney

8 REPLIES 8

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you tried the steps here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Roaming-Tips-for-using-your-Virgin-Mobile-whilst-...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Good Morning @Morney, do please review the helpful link provided by @BenMcr

In the meantime, it may be worth taking a look into the costs of roaming whilst in the USA

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

sdu60
On our wavelength

my uk android phone cannot make calls in the USA. This message received "Welcome you are roaming on AT & T. Due to network compatibility calls will not work. Please use data SMS and app based calling"

However SMS does not work either. I also cant seem to be able to make wifi based calls.

Is this due to US having virtually only 5G now? My phone is 2g/3g

Even though I cant make calls Virgin is still charging me for data 

Hi @sdu60

Thanks for your response

Are you able to try a Manual Network search to see if this then allows you to connect? Please let me know if you're an Apple/Android user and whichever handset so I can look into this for you

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

sdu60
On our wavelength

Networks that show up include AT &T, 311490, 313100, T-mobile & verizon. None work. Phone is galaxy a20s

Whats wrong with virgin? This must be a common occurence.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

We rely on networks that are not ours when you're abroad, sdu60 - I can appreciate it can be frustrating and for that I apologise. With the message you received in terms of network capabilities, it doesn't sound like it would work on that network, the SMS it relates to would be mobile data SMS, not a standard SMS this is why that wouldn't be working. 

Can you try the following please: 

Android

Select Apps from the Home screen or swipe to access
Select the Virgin SIM toolkit option. Depending on the SIM slot the SIM is in this may be ‘Virgin’ or ‘Virgin2’
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select International

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

sdu60
On our wavelength

Tks for trying but your response is not relevant to my phone. I can find "Sim Toolkit" but there is no "Roaming" topic or the others either.

TRY AGAIN.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies - but I am only trying to help here, sdu60. 

Your phone is an Android - the above would be relevant. What I will do is send you over a private message to double check everything is set from this side - have you been able to log into your online account at all and check if roaming is active from there? 

Cheers, 

Ryan.