cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of old SIM when transferring number

Deltabeta
Joining in

Hi, Just received a new Virgin Mobile SIM and trying to port existing number. Have PAC and started process but it's asked me to insert new SIM into phone to start porting process. Do I have to keep the new SIM (ie with a different number) in my phone all the time until the porting process is complete? This obviously means I can't make or receive calls with my number!

7 REPLIES 7

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Deltabeta thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome!

So yes, you would need to keep your new Virgin Mobile SIM in your phone, with a different number until the porting process is completed.

This means you're likely to have the temporary number until the port is complete and sometimes, on the day the port is completed, your temporary number may stop working (before your new one works), so please be prepared there may be a few hours of complete downtime on both numbers, before your old one is working again.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks for the prompt, though very disappointing reply. Have to say this is not a great start to my relationship with Virgin. I must have ported my number dozens of times over the years to many different providers and this is the only time I have been asked to do this. Normally you just keep you old SIM in until it stops working on the day of the port.

It effectively means I am without my phone for 4 days which is not really an acceptable situation to be in!

Exactly why do you need to keep the new SIM in the phone? 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Put the new SIM in to register it. Then put the old one back and wait till it goes dead. Then put then new one in.

Noting happens Saturday and Sunday anyway

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Deltabeta thanks for your reply. 

This has always been our process for number ports, generally this is the case for most other providers too.

What you have mentioned, is porting the network onto your other SIM Card (containing your old number) and this is not possible to do.

You will have to follow the steps I had advised above, in order to ensure a smooth as possible number port.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Funny that. I ported a number from Vodafone to EE last week. That's the way I did it and how I have always done it over the years.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I don’t mean porting the number in my existing SIM, obv you can’t do that. I meant keeping the old Sim in the phone until it stops working which it will do when the port is complete. Then put the Virgin SIM in the phone. Just as enli suggested. 
If that works as enli says then I’ll do that, or maybe just put Virgin SIM in an old spare phone until the number ports. 

And Tom-W, no other provider asks you to keep the new SiM in the phone during the porting process - certainly not Vodafone, O2, 3, Ee, TalkMobile, Lebrara, idMobile or any of the other providers I’ve used. Just Virgin.  

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Deltabeta @ From 1p Mobile

Your request to port your number has been received

On the day of the port your current mobile service from your current provider will stop working. At this time please swap your old SIM with the one we have sent you.