cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make our receive mobile calls for 3 weeks

Tap_RN
Joining in

Hi.

For the last 3-weeks, I have been unable to make or receive calls from my Samsung Note 9 using a SIM only plan which I've had for many years. This happens on my partner's phone also, who also has a SIM only plan, so the issue is not phone specific. When I try to make a call, the screen just says connecting but it never connects to the network. Incoming calls go directly to voicemail without playing my voicemail message. I have no knowledge or notification for some time that a call has been missed until I eventually received a text. I can intermittently but very rarely make/receive calls but there's no science to how or when this will happen. 99% of the time I am unable to make or receive calls and have no knowledge a caller is calling. Nothing has changed in settings and I'm technically competent. The fact that this is happening across two distinct mobile phones with different SIMs indicates to me a network or account issue. I'm in the middle of buying a house and have no landline so this is really important to me. Could anybody please help. Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Tap_RN,

Welcome to the Community Forums, thank you for your first post.

I'm sorry to hear that both you and your partner have been experiencing issues with your SIMs and making/receiving calls. I agree that it's unlikely to be a handset issue from what you've described. Have you been able to check your signal coverage here for any known issues with the masts in your area?

Have you noticed if the issue is area specific at all?

Lastly, are you ale to use data and send/receive SMS okay?

Thank you

Beth

Hi Beth - thanks for responding.

So, signal in my area is very good with full coverage up to 4G.

The issue is not specific to a location as far as I can tell.  All other services are fine - data/text is unaffected.

As an example, today, the mobile is working - I can make and receive calls.  I always know when it will work as when I dial, my phone screen always says 'conditional call forwarding active' almost immediately.  Why it is working today, I have no idea - tomorrow, it very well may not.  Even on the days when the issue is prevalent, I might (emphasis on might) be able to get a single call out after many attempts - I've even tried re-registering on the network but that doesn't really help.  This has happened in the distant past, but for a very short period (day or 2) - this time it has been 3 weeks or so.

I didn't know until this week that my partners phone was doing the same (she very rarely uses her phone to actually call people so she was unaware) - I tried to call her mobile but couldn't so then tried her mobile to call mine plus a different number to rule out the network, but her mobile didn't dial out to either number also - that's when I thought it must be a network/SIM/Account issue (we are both on Virgin and the SIMS are managed on the same account).

I know that because there is no structure to the call send/receive failure it might be a conundrum, but your further help is appreciated as I am missing lots of calls and we are in the process of purchasing a new home so the calls are important.

Thanks.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update @Tap_RN.

Can you please let us know if it stops working again? We will see what more we can do about this.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide