cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet on data mobile.

Michael78
Joining in

Hi, in the last 2 mounts I can say your mobile internet speed is on the ground, I believe firm when you merge with O2. All my video calls are  lagging so bad until disconnect. Image is so unclear and sound is coming with delay and fast talk speed very bad user experience.

No matter where I am in 4g or 5g is same I tested the speed last night was download 1.5mb and upload under 1mb.

Today I nearly got 10mb but up to the end of test went to 5mb.

I restart the phone clean my sim I got a new SIM still same issue. When you was with Vodafone was great speed no issues.

What can I do to improve this service.

20 REPLIES 20

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's a very strong chance there isn't enough capacity on O2 just isn't sufficient for the amount of usage, in these areas - the fix is for that additional capacity to be deployed, which is not always a quick fix. You could check on https://status.o2.co.uk/ whether there's any recognised issues.

Testing using an O2 phone or one of Tesco Mobile, Sky Mobile or another O2-MVNO will ultimately prove this.

You may have answered your own question, that another network operator is potentially the answer. Nationally, EE is generally best performing & O2 the worst - but there will always be local variations.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Michael78
Joining in

Hi, yes I was thinking to change the provider/operator,. I said from when they merge with O2 their service go very poor so I think that's my best solution.

My speed now at 5am. How can you have a proper video call with this upload.  Orevo matter where 

Screenshot_20230305-050313-459.png

I switch test server the upload is under 1mb

No matter where i change the test server. (i wanted to write but autocorrection modified my spelling.)

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yep, I've often seen reports like that and latency in triple figures when I've tested in a number of locations to report to Open Signal.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Michael78

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your mobile data. 

Does this happen in multiple locations?

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Yes upload very but no more then 2mb today I am in a business park with 5 g mast close so that is it.

I left virgin network in November and all was fine I have ported my number to different network, before to switch virgin was still with Vodafone , now I comeback and port my number back so issues is with your speed since and find out all merged with O2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Michael78 wrote:

I am in a business park with 5 g mast close so that is it.

Network radio sites are multi-technology and usually carry a mixture of 2G, 3G, 4G & 5G - very rarely only one tech.

Poor speeds can occur across 4G & 5G - it depends how much spectrum is deployed vs how much is needed. 5G really isn't the cure for poor speeds that marketing makes it out to be. Extra capacity across 4G & 5G combined, is.

Thank you for clarifying this happens in multiple locations. 

Please perform a reboot of the handset as this will help to reset the handset's connection to the local mast. 

Please let us know if this improves the current signal for you. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide