cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i be getting the same signal strength as vodafone?

Waddle
Tuning in

Hi peeps, any info be much appreciated.

After 20+ years ive been limited to vodafone for signal quality , when I saw Virgin was using Vodafone masts, confirming it with sales,  I switched my number over and chose new handset last week. But I'm not getting same signal, its actually really bad even in my home total outage to -124db, at best I can get -101db. It looks as though its only able to use 3G. As a last resort I've also tried 2 vodafone handsets in areas I'm getting reception issues and those get good strength. I even tried putting the virgin sim in the voda handsets and still get signal issues! 

I installed an android signal monitoring app and the info is telling me I'm on virgin but my signal is actually coming from EE.  So I'm now confused as to why its not using Vodafone.  I know that EE is not a coverage I get so would never go to them. If virgin had said it was EE masts I wouldn't have switched over, now I'm confused!

Does this match anyone else's experience? Is virgin actually using Vodafone masts? 

14 REPLIES 14

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VOXI, Virgin Mobile, Asda Mobile, Lebara Mobile and Talkmobile are mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) that use the Vodafone network.

Voxi is different in that it is actually owned by Vodafone, where the others are not.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@enlli

“Now has 5G, Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE” and Visual Voicemail on an iPhone, a real bonus for me. Thanks @enlli for pointing me in their direction months ago 👍

That's brilliant, thanks for those alternatives.  I like the look of Voxi, seems simple and easy...After last few days trying to sort out probs with this one, just what I need right now!  

This forum is pretty awesome, with some pretty awesome and generous peeps... sad to have to leave virgin just for that reason!

Thought I'd give quick update incase anyone else has similar issues or looking to move from Vodafone.

Rang Virgin to close my account as they confirmed I am being connected via EE!  apparently if you order online this happens and are not guaranteed to connect via Vodaphone masts, but if you place the order over the phone it will be via Vodafone masts, regardless if you are want 4G or 5G! Not as simple as them changing it over for me now, they would have to close my current account down and then call them to set new one up!! Uhhhh

Seems bit bizarre to me,  so moving over to Voxi (thanks for the suggestion) with my Pac once the phone is returned  everything is cancelled.

Much appreciated again to all the helpful peeps.

Thanks for the update Waddle and sorry to hear you're elating us due to this.

If you have any problems with the PAC code please let us know and we'll be happy to look into this for you.

Rob