Menu
nopetya13
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Scammer - Spoofing Telephone Numbers - Pretending to be BT

Over the past two days, we have received scammer telephone calls from a male caller who is stating that there is a "problem with our internet".  When the response to the male caller informs them that we have a Virgin Media they say "that all broadband systems go through BT".  We inform them that we are not interested and we hang up.  The spoofing number that was used in the scam attempt was (01229) 836473 (Area Code:- Barrow-In-Furness in Cumbria).  After an internet search, we have located that this number belongs to a real person.

The same person called today using exactly the same script as above and we again hung up.  This time the spoofing number that was used in the scam attempt was (01372) 878386 (Area Code:- Esher in Surrey).

Can Virgin Media advise me what we can do about these calls and before you ask, we are registered with TPS (Telpehone Preference Service)?

Please be aware of these numbers and Block them on your phones

Thanks 

nopetya13

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scammer - Spoofing Telephone Numbers - Pretending to be BT

They change numbers a few times during the day simply to stop from being blocked.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nopetya13
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Enlli

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Blocking individual numbers is of no use as all the numbers are spoofed & once used a few times they are changed. Some numbers they use don't exist in the UK, some even come up as single digit numbers. They will even clone genuine numbers.

This has been a common occurence since lockdown. Nearly every person I have spoken to has had these calls. I have had them numerous times & just let them go to answerphone. After a few attempts they give up, then try again a few weeks later.

They look up blocks of numbers on each exchange that are allocated to certain providers, & then phone the users pretending to be from that provider. If you have ported your number to another provider it shows the scammers up for what they are (I assume you were originaly with BT, but took your number to Virgin, hence they think you are still with BT).

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
DEATH2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It would be lovely if calls from numbers that don't exist or are originating from networks that don't own the number were blocked automatically.

This is done with emails to prevent spoofing so why not the phone networks. I appreciate that numbers external to a country would be hard to detect, but even that just requires a small bit of co-operation. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

But you would then block genuine numbers.  My O2 is running on a number originally issued to Vodafone. Since number porting you can't say what is running where, and there are hundreds of transfers a day

I've had 2 this week so far. 

0 Kudos