cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A12 Chat Services

neilus77
On our wavelength

Hi everyone,

Not sure if anyone has come across this or can offer some advice but we cant seem to get my wifes phone to use RCS chat function on the default Samsung message app. I have the exact same phone but on a different network and it works perfectly fine, put sim in, press messages and it says register for chat services, click start, enter mobile number and its done, on my wifes Virgin phone it says register then press start and nothing it just goes back to message screen and Chat settings is greyed out.

Spoke to Virgin who says its nothing to do with them, they don't control the RCS function and to use 3rd party apps for RCS, so spoke to Samsung who connected to phone and said its nothing to do with us its your Network provider that needs to activate the service to use on your phone. So at the moment nobody wants to take ownership for not being able to use the service that the phone is capable of, even the internet draws a blank.

We have tried Google Messaging and it connects fine that way but we don't want to use a 3rd party app Google, we both want the Samsung default App so we are both using the same one. We don't understand why it works on one phone and not the other, is the RCS function network dependent as like I said I am with Lebara and just put my sim in and all works as it should, we even put my wifes Virgin sim in my phone and still nothing, so its not the phone it has to be either the sim card or the network itself.

If anyone has encountered this and either found a fix or had an answer on how to fix it from Virgin please let us know as its now getting very frustrating and yet another issue we are getting from the Virgin Media brand.

Many thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The difference with the Google app is that it uses Google's own server and is not network dependent. They did that as too many networks were dragging their feet over RCS

As to Virgin having RCS servers, I'm not sure.but this seems to suggest they do

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/RCS-on-Samsung-Messages/td-p/4612594

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @neilus77.

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post.

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your mobile services. 

In addition to what enlli has stated, As we are an MVNO its not something we support currently.

Kind regards,

Zak_M