cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM deactivated

AngryCustomer91
On our wavelength

Terrible customer service. Phone deactivated as punishment for not fitting new SIM.
Phone and replacement SIM are in different countries so unable to fit.

Virgin killed phone and refuse to reactivate existing SIM.

Customer services refused to send SIM to country where phone is.

Customer services (off-shore) repeatedly lie and hang up mid call. They know that there are no consequences for anything they do as they do not have to give their names (always a bad sign!)

25 REPLIES 25

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @AngryCustomer91, thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear your phone has been deactivated, as part of network improvements we have attempted to notify all customers with plenty of notice that we will need to arrange a new sim to be sent as the older sims would no longer work after a certain period.

As this is the case with yourself the only way for you to resume the service would be to put the new sim card into your phone. As you have previously been advised we are only able to send the sims to a UK address so if you are not un the UK do you have anyone who is that can forward the sim to you?

Apologies for the service you have had from the offshore team, I can see you have also discussed this on your other posts and this will be fed back.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

You have a database that links mobile phone numbers to SIM serial numbers.

The old SIM serial was swapped for the new SIM causing the old SIM to stop working.

It would be a simple matter to reassociate the old SIM serial number but Customer Services claim this is impossible.

The phone in question is currently unaffected by your change of carrier as it is in Germany. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can appreciate your frustration with this one AngryCustomer91,

The issue is as when new SIM cards are activated we wouldn't be able to reactivate any previous SIM's.

We'd have to advise the SIM to be forwarded to yourself if that can happen?

Apologies for this,

Kain

While on the phone trying to get my first phone's SIM reactivated I have received a text saying my second phone will also be killed off.

This despite several reassurances this wouldn't happen. I have explained that I am not in UK and can't swap out the SIM card.

Customer Service claim no text message was sent. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies for that,

Just for clarification, is this regarding a new SIM being sent our for that number also?

Thanks,

Kain

Yes, they have insisted on sending out a new SIM for my second number although I am out of the country and cant collect it.

One phone disabled and a flat refusal to reactivate the old SIM and now a death sentence on my second phone.

Thanks a lot Virgin Mobile !

Hi there @AngryCustomer91

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see that this has happened! 

Unfortunately we are not able to post abroad, though we can post to an address in the UK, perhaps a friend or family member who could post this on to you. 

Thank you.

Supervisor phoned me a couple of days ago and said new SIM sent and my current SIM will be deactivated on 5 April.

I only get to UK on 4 April so not much margin of error.

Text message today (25 March) warning current SIM will be deactivated in 4 days time.

Rang customer service for clarification. 5 calls, 2 hours later told new SIM deactivated and current SIM will never be deactivated.

Three different stories. Which one is true?
Terrible customer service. Hung up on repeatedly. Put on hold for 10 minutes at a time.

Hi AngryCustomer91, thank you for coming back to us. 
Sincerest apologies for your poor experience. 

Sadly we would not be able to confirm the exact date when the SIM will be deactivated, I can appreciate this must be frustrating. I do hope it stays active until your return to the UK!

As you have mentioned being abroad I thought it may be helpful to provide a little additional information regarding our free roaming policies for in the EU. You can read more about these here. 

It may be helpful for you to know in every rolling 4 month period, you must use more data, calls and texts in the UK than the EU or spend more time in the UK than away somewhere else. So, if you’ve used your phone more in the UK than you have in the EU within the last 4 months, you can still use your allowance whilst travelling without incurring a surcharge.

Please do let us know if you are having any issues following the swap to your new SIM so we can offer further support!

All the best. 

Molly