cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rome-roaming unable to connect to network

CedricTheGreat
Tuning in

We were told before leaving the uk that we could phone uk numbers using roaming free of charge in Europe. My phone has roaming set as does my wife and we are both on the same virgin network. We are currently in Rome but when I try to phone her I get the message "unable to connect to the network". 

We must be doing something wrong - please can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the update CedricTheGreat.

We do apologise that you don't have the Virgin sim toolkit installed on your handset. The link below hopefully may give you some more assitance.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/using-virgin-mobile-abroad 

Kind regards Jodi. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi CedricTheGreat, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to forums 🙂 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues making calls. Are you able to use your data and texts?

Have you done a manual reboot?

Zoie

Hello Zoie

Apologies I should have given more details.

My phone has the android 12 o.s. and is a samsung a52s.

We can not send texts - the data also does not seem to work. Something else is that when I check to sim status it indicates that the mobile network state is not connected, we are not roaming and the network types are unknown even when the connection icon top right shows full bars.

I hope this information helps?

Kindest regards 

Peter

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for this feedback, CedricTheGreat.

Sorry to hear nothing is working in regard to calls and texts with your mobile service while abroad.

Please, try the following:

As you're using an Android phone, follow these steps: 
Select Apps from your home screen > Virgin SIM toolkit > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. Once this has been done, you might need to reboot. 
Let us know if this works for you.

Please, check to see if this does the trick or if you need further help from us after you've tried it, we are eager to assist further if needed.
Cheers

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Dear Adri_G

Sadly my phone doesn't have such a thing as Virgin Sim Toolkit installed. However checking on the Internet- indeed in the virgin help it said that it is hidden for old sims. If old means more than two years this will not apply to my sim.

I'll try to find the "virgin sim toolkit" online and download. Will let you know when done as requested.

Thanks for the update CedricTheGreat.

We do apologise that you don't have the Virgin sim toolkit installed on your handset. The link below hopefully may give you some more assitance.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/using-virgin-mobile-abroad 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Dear all,

I have given up. My time here in Rome is too precious to waste trying to fix this.

Thank you you all for your patience and attempts.

All the best....

I am very sorry for any frustration with the time taking to resolve this. I would like to take a look on your account to see if all is setup as it should be. 

If you would like me to do this, please respond to my private message. 

^Martin