Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Roaming not working in Greece

Good Morning all,

I am currently on holiday in Greece (Island of Kefalonia). And I am having problems with roaming. As soon as I landed I had the standard 'Welcome to Greece' message and all was working. However around 10 mins after the message all roaming services have stopped. I cant text, call or use data. 

Using the limited/dodgy wifi out here I have checked the following:

On my Virgin Mobile account, data roaming is switched on, and international call barring is switched off. And I do have just under 5000 mins/text and around 58gb of data left to use.

On my Samsung Note 8 handset I have mobile data on, and roaming on. 

I have updated the settings using the 'configuration message' from a virgin mobile help page. 

I have tried manually switching networks and automatic. The only network the I can register on, registers but no call, texts or data.

The strange thing is I visit the same place every year and I took this exact handset last year and it worked no problems.

Does anyone have any further ideas? Or can look into this for me?

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming not working in Greece

You've tried ask the checks that I would do, are there any errors, messages when you try to call out, text, use mobile data? 

Hopefully a vm mod will be along to assist, maybe reset things their end. 

One suggestion I can make, but it would take a while would be to switch off the roaming on the account, wait hours (preferably 24), then switch it back on again and try to see if it works again in the next 24 hours. That is to wait for the reset to reach the local network(s). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi arronhamilton, 

Thank you for getting in touch regarding using your mobile service whilst in Greece. 

I am sorry to hear you have been unable to use your tariff whilst away. I would be happy to look in to this further for you.

Firstly, can you please confirm the following?

- Was roaming activated at least 24 hours before leaving the UK?

- Have you tried manually searching for the network?

- Have you rebooted the phone since the issue started?

Let me know and I will be happy to help 🙂

Thanks, 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Natalie,

Thanks for replying. 

There is an update I'm now able to text and call but still no data.

I can confirm roaming was active on virgin mobile account and phone settings before I left the UK. (Have both been on since October last year visiting Croatia).

I tried manually searching and auto search. Both times I can connect to ' GE Cosmote'. But initially couldn't call text or use data. As of now I can call & text but no data service. 

I have rebooted my handset multiple times to no avail. Any further advice?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for getting back to me arronhamilton. 

I would like to take a closer look in to your account if that's okay?

I am going to pop you over a private message to grab a few more details and we can get a closer look at the settings.

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos