cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming doesn't work on Jersey CI

Jimmy_Blib
Joining in

Hi 

I've noticed a number of similar postings,  but none seems to have resolved the issue.

I have a "new" Galaxy A13 5g. I got this because my old phone hardly ever worked in Jersey. I was advised by Virgin to get a more up to date one, so I did

I used my existing SIM card.

In my old phone, the Virgin "toolkit" icon suddenly disappeared (though the actual app was still there)

I contacted Virgin (on 789) to voice my concerns about the absence of the toolkit icon. I was assured that my new 5g phone wouldn't need it: it would just connect when I got to Jersey.

As the ferry passed the French coast, my phone (with no intervention from me) connected to a French network, and I was able to phone both the UK and Jersey.

As the ferry approached Jersey,  roaming stopped, and nothing I could do would get me connected.

On return home, my phone worked as expected with no intervention.

I phoned 789 again. All that was offered was to text ALL to 789922. But I'm not convinced. If I apply the ALL settings, will I be able to send and receive calls from Jersey?

I used

5 REPLIES 5

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jimmy_Blib 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having roaming issues when in Jersey. 

You can find all the available information regarding setting up your phone and plan charges for travelling to Jersey here if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi

As I mentioned in my original message, roaming per se does work - I was able to phone both back to the UK and to Jersey, as soon as I picked up a signal from France.

Once I'd reached Jersey, the roaming facility no longer worked.

Cheers

JB

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin's Roaming is done through a Belgian partner. The SIM sees CI as +44 UK numbers so thinks it's home. The CI networks, on the other hand, see you as roaming! That's it in a simplified nut shell.

Before Virgin started removing the SIM Toolkit you could force the SIM into international rather than national mode and roam there OK

Thankfully there will be light at the end of the tunnel when Virgin fully becomes O2.  As a bonus, O2 don't charge for CI roaming.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you very much.

That's the most useful explanation I've had so far!
So, Virgin removed the toolkit, so I can't "tweak" the phone, so it won't work in Jersey.
Virgin is going to (eventually) move us over to O2, where upon great things will happen.
I'm looking forward to that Happy Day!

JB

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Many apologies for the issues faced Jimmy_Blib,

To clarify are you still abroad too?

Regards,

Kain