cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refeshing SIM data

WG1316
Tuning in

I found this thread as I am having the same problem. My phone is 2 years old and my sim maybe older (unsure).

This Refreshing Sim Data message is fairly new to me. Never encountered it until January this year.

I notice that when the refresh message appears I lose phone connectivity. I usually have my phone set to make calls via WiFi as I live in a flat with thick walls, which give poor phone reception.

I am unable to try my sim in another phone.

What is the remedy for this problem? 

51 REPLIES 51

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @WG1316, and a very warm welcome to you!

Can you possibly advise what handset you're using? 

This may allow me to give a more accurate/detailed response

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hello David.

I have a Samsung A20e, which is now 2 years old. 

I have contacted Virgin by phone since posting. If the sim was faulty, I understand it would fail, and not have this refreshing problem. I am stuck for trying my sim in another phone.

I am thinking a new handset I needed, but Virgin wants to sell me a deal that will cost me £168 for a Samsung A12. 

It would be handy to see if a different handset produces a different result for you, but that being said, it's probably best you don't purchase one to find this out..

Is there anyone you're able to ask who would be willing to assist you?

With your handset, you can also try this for me, to see if it will work on your handset;

-Manual network search and choose any other network except Virgin or EE e.g., O2,

Vodafone etc. (will tell you unable to connect or show no service) 

-Switch handset to 2G only. This can usually be found by going to the "settings" option within the menu of your phone 

-Then manually search again and choose Virgin 

-Then set back to 4G

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I don't think my phone is capable of using 4G. The settings show the default 3G/2G.

However, I will give it a try. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The A20e is a 4G phone. So you should be able to change the network type.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I went through the steps. It would not connect to any other network.

On 2G would not connect to Virgin.

Reset to 3G/2G and it found Virgin automatically. 

Please select 3G for me.

If you are unable to use 4G services, an upgrade in the not too distant future may be worthwhile.

Feel free to give our team a call or log into your self-care account to consider your options. 

Alternatively, you can purchase a handset outright from a third party retailer and use our SIM card in there - just need to ensure the handset is listed as "Unlocked"

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thank you for your help. 

I have received a new sim card from Virgin this morning. 

It is inserted, however I get a message telling me it is not registered. I cannot use my phone or SMS. I have not been propmted to insert any activation code (rebooted 3 times now).

Still getting the refreshing sim data message.