cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieving SMS on Wifi calling

raybb3uk
On our wavelength

Odd one.

I recently ported to VM after leaving Three where I also used WifiCalling with no issue. Ported to VM end of May, got the text advising WifiCalling set up and I do indeed get WifiCall on my display.

Heres the issue when on WifiCall - its an iPhone X (unlocked from Apple), I can send and receive messages via iMessage, no issues as uses data.

If I send a message to a non Apple device (send as SMS), it appears to go with no error. The recipient can get it straight away but sometimes delayed. If they respond, I don't get the reply until I'm back on 4G and only when they send me a further message and any outstanding messages from that sender, then they all come in.

Check the service centre number via another handset and is correct for the purple SIM.

Any ideas VM (or anyone)? I have done the usual reset network settings, reset phone, etc

Ray

69 REPLIES 69

My previous optimism about a small improvement in arrival of SMS over wifi has gone.

Got bombarded with numerous messages all at once, and 2 messages that were sent within a couple of minutes of each other arrived 11 hours apart.

:o(

Hi MW810,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues receiving SMSs whilst WiFi Calling is switched on, this issue should now be resolved.

Can you please confirm the make and model of the handset that you're using currently?

Thanks

Beth

Beth

Hi,

I haven't tried the new SIM card yet. My last message was posted before the new SIM was even sent out.

I'll test once new SIM is installed, but based on others' experiences I don't expect this to help if I'm honest.

Thanks.

Please test and let us know how you get on 🙂

We'll be more than happy to help if needed

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

New SIM installed, which shockingly has not fixed the problem (as already reported by others previously).

iPhone SE (2020), iOS 14.7.1.

Have tried various WiFi networks, all with no improvement.

Time to investigate a network-based problem?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MW810 wrote:

Time to investigate a network-based problem?

When a thread on the subject is 14 months old you would think that should be the case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So how does this problem get escalated? Several supplementary questions come to mind.

1. Can any VM mobile users receive SMS messages while using Wifi Calling?

2. Is iMessage affected?

3. Is phone type a factor?

4. Why is there a disconnect between sending and receiving messages?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My reading of two similar threads over the past 15 months is that not all customers are effected.

iMessages are OK as they don't use the SMS system.

Phone type does not appear to be a factor

As it the disconnect, who knows but it should give technicians a clue.

The likely outcome is this will not be fixed any time soon (let's face it 15 months and counting)

I would advise anyone out of contract or on 30 day rolling to seriously consider moving if this is an issue for them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

MarkDElliott
Just joined

So, I've had this issue since day one earlier this year.
iphone12 mini from Virgin.

my wife has an iPhone 11 pro from virgin which works fine with SMS over wificall.
if I install my sim into other phones at my disposal (that i KNOW work with wificall on other networks) the issue follows.

ie, it's not the phone,
it's not all Virgin customers.

if I disable Wificall I'm able to leave my phone by the window to receive SMS from the NHS or my bank.
absolutely attrocious.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you think this is bad there is a security hole in Superhub 3 firmware that Virgin acknowledged in October 2019 and is still not fixed. 

Not fixing things seems to be a recurring theme.