cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieving SMS on Wifi calling

raybb3uk
On our wavelength

Odd one.

I recently ported to VM after leaving Three where I also used WifiCalling with no issue. Ported to VM end of May, got the text advising WifiCalling set up and I do indeed get WifiCall on my display.

Heres the issue when on WifiCall - its an iPhone X (unlocked from Apple), I can send and receive messages via iMessage, no issues as uses data.

If I send a message to a non Apple device (send as SMS), it appears to go with no error. The recipient can get it straight away but sometimes delayed. If they respond, I don't get the reply until I'm back on 4G and only when they send me a further message and any outstanding messages from that sender, then they all come in.

Check the service centre number via another handset and is correct for the purple SIM.

Any ideas VM (or anyone)? I have done the usual reset network settings, reset phone, etc

Ray

69 REPLIES 69

The SIM card was sent out in early July 2021.

All devices are using the latest available versions of the applicable operating system.

Thanks for coming back to me PeterK1, 

Can you confirm if you can receive text messages when using Wi-Fi calling on Wi-Fi connections that are alternative to Virgin Media? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Yes - I have three other devices, another iPhone SE on Vodafone, iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung S9+ both on O2, all of which can receive texts while using Wifi Calling, all devices work on my Virgin Media Wifi and my EE Wifi and any other Wifi networks that i connect to. Only phones with the Virgin SIM installed do not work.

Hi,

No, I've had the SIM card for a while (probably a couple of years).

Thanks.

Very good point about the identity verification texts! My bank have started doing this recently and it's a real issue. I'll have to move away from Virgin if I can't get the SMS over Wifi calling issue sorted pretty soon.

Hi All, I have same issue since I switched to Virgin Mobile from EE not able to use wifi text service. There was no issue with Wi-Fi calling and receiving and sending text messages through wifi calling on EE. What is also good feature on EE is wifi calling only kicks in automatically if there no 4G or 3G signals. On VM, it remains On despite having full normal signals.

What annoying thing on VM is text message does not get delivered or received on wifi calling. Message only arrives, even after 12 hrs while there is normal signals.

I have reported to VM customer service four times and said there was nothing wrong mobile account. Technically they unaware of fixing  this issue. So I stopped calling them and only awaiting to complete minimum contract period to terminate

Hi MW810,

Thank you for coming back to us, we are sorry to hear you are having issues with sending SMS via WIFI calling, I have tried to locate your account however I wasn't able to locate your account with the details we have for you.

As you have advised you have had the Sim card for a couple of years I would like to try a new Sim, I will send you a invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept?

Regards

Paul.

Thank you, I'll look out for that.

Interestingly, I have (intermittently) been receiving SMS over Wifi calling for the last few days. It's not reliable, but it's something. I have not changed my phone/SIM/Wifi network/settings/etc.

Also when going back to 4G coverage, the delay before getting all the messages I've missed is less (so far).

Paul,

Thanks for your message, I've send a private reply. I note that PeterK1 has the same problem with a new SIM. So, I'm not sure that this is the problem. Happy to try a new one if you think it'll help though.

Yes also had new sim in the past with no change, plus tried on diff WiFi.

the fact the texts do eventually get delivered suggests messaging is going on in the background so it should be possible to trace these.
I’m guessing some type of sipp messaging so should be possible to track to end devices and see which end is sending/ rejecting the messaging. Plus happens all the time so should be quick to find.