Menu
Highlighted
DABhand
Super solver
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Question in regards to PAYM tariff cancellation

Looking for information here, if someone cancels their PAYM contract with 30 days notice, is it standard for them to get placed on a PAYG tariff when they requested they didn't want to be on a tariff at all after the 30 days?

Majide!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Question in regards to PAYM tariff cancellation

Yes it is.

All Pay Monthly cancellations where the a PAC or STAC code isn't used will result in the SIM going to PAYG. There is no ongoing plan attached to this PAYG SIM and no payment requirement.

If you don't use the PAYG SIM it will then automatically deactivate itself after a period of time.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-how-do-i-cancel-my-contract

If you’re on a Pay Monthly plan and want to cancel your contract with us, you can do this in one of two ways.

• By requesting your PAC or STAC and providing this to your new provider. To request your PAC or STAC see PAC or STAC section above
  • By calling 789 from you Virgin Mobile or 0345 6000 789 * from any other phone

Cancelling without changing provider

You can also call us, and ask us to terminate your contract, which you won’t need a PAC or STAC for.

Please Note: When you cancel your account, your mobile number will terminate and you will not be able to get this mobile number back. If you want to keep your mobile number, please follow the PAC process.

As noted above, when a customer terminates a contract, that contract should be terminated.

It seems to me to be totally wrong that an account which has expressly been requested to be closed is arbitrarily switched to a different type of account, which remains open for potentially 365 days before it "automatically" deactivates itself.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DABhand
Super solver
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Seems to be conflicting information about this, I wonder if this is what agents say to have a "save" rather than a "loss", maybe someone from staff can clarify what is correct.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yes. Happened to me too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-how-do-i-cancel-my-contract

If you’re on a Pay Monthly plan and want to cancel your contract with us, you can do this in one of two ways.

• By requesting your PAC or STAC and providing this to your new provider. To request your PAC or STAC see PAC or STAC section above
  • By calling 789 from you Virgin Mobile or 0345 6000 789 * from any other phone

Cancelling without changing provider

You can also call us, and ask us to terminate your contract, which you won’t need a PAC or STAC for.

Please Note: When you cancel your account, your mobile number will terminate and you will not be able to get this mobile number back. If you want to keep your mobile number, please follow the PAC process.

As noted above, when a customer terminates a contract, that contract should be terminated.

It seems to me to be totally wrong that an account which has expressly been requested to be closed is arbitrarily switched to a different type of account, which remains open for potentially 365 days before it "automatically" deactivates itself.

Why? The account can't be used and the SIM is cut off - they are obliged to have it open for a period of time for access - I switched banks in 2016 - I can still access my account and get all my statements until 2022.

I think this is great no matter who does it. handy to be able to go back and get statements and bills when needed/if needed

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

Why? The account can't be used and the SIM is cut off - they are obliged to have it open for a period of time for access - I switched banks in 2016 - I can still access my account and get all my statements until 2022.

I think this is great no matter who does it. handy to be able to go back and get statements and bills when needed/if needed

My point is that the SIM is not cut off - it's transferred from a Pay Monthly to a PAYG account - against the express wishes of the account holder.

It's not a banking or financial service - it's a phone.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Highlighted
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Right and what's the problem with that? There is no more bill - the number IS disconnected ( i've tried the one I had disconnected last week and it's dead) and you can just throw the sim away - they have to keep it open for a set amount of time - even the GDPR states that.

It might not be banking but it is still financial, because the sim is distributed under a consumer credit agreement - which is what allows any company in that sector to update credit files etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You appear to be conflating two separate, although linked, issues here.

My comments are in regard to the information given in post#2 of this thread which states

"All Pay Monthly cancellations where the a PAC or STAC code isn't used will result in the SIM going to PAYG. There is no ongoing plan attached to this PAYG SIM and no payment requirement.

If you don't use the PAYG SIM it will then automatically deactivate itself after a period of time."

I'm pointing out that this statement is contradictory to the information provided by Virgin Media here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-how-do-i-cancel-my-contract which clearly notes that the contract will be terminated.

Providing that the contract is in fact terminated and the SIM is voided I have no issues, and I have no issues with account details being held on file for reference purposes. In fact have never suggested otherwise.

As a matter of interest, can you point me to the relevant article or recital in the GDPR which states that an account has to be kept open for a set period of time after cancellation?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I literally sent a phone back Saturday and until 30 minutes ago my sim which came with it was still active. I have just checked and it's now showing on the "Starter" tariff and is listed as PAYG - the sim itself is dead. Credit agreement shows "Your credit agreement has now been cancelled"

That's what happens..

0 Kudos