Menu
davids355
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Problem setting up new Virgin mobile 5G ready sim

I have a virgin mobile data-only sim on a 4G data plan. I have been using it in a D-Link mobile router.

I received a replacement 5G-ready SIM with instructions that I should replace my existing sim with the new one, which I have done.

However, I am not sure whether replacing the sim has reset the APN settings in the router, but basically, the router will no longer connect. When I look in the settings it asks for APN details and I don't know what details I should put in, or if there is something different I need to do with the new sim, being 5G ready, or if it just takes some time to activate?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem setting up new Virgin mobile 5G ready sim

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums. davids355,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your 5G SIM card.  Have you checked that the SIM card was activated? You might need to try placing it in a mobile phone first to see if it works.

To get the APN settings for your 5G SIM you can check our equipment page here or our generic APN can also be found here

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
davids355
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure whether the sim is activated. I tried putting it in a spare phone that I have here, but now I realize the phone is locked to Tesco mobile. So I have initiated an unlock request which takes 7 days. Once that is complete, I will test the 5G virgin sim on the phone and report back.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, davids355, I'll send you a private message to confirm your account details.

davids355
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just to let you guys know; I have this resolved now. It turned out to be related to a move that Virgin is making to use a new provider network - cant remember who - and so, the sim needed to be activated on that new system or something like that. Anyway, I did that over the phone with Virgin and now everything is working perfectly.

In the end, I didn't need to enter APN settings either, the 4G router configured them automatically and just worked.

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi davids355, 

Thank you for taking the time to update the thread and let us know this is now resolved 🙂 

Please get in touch if we can assist in the future. 

Take care

Nat