Menu
annabshort1
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Poor phone signal at home. Improves as soon as I call virgin then goes right back down again

Poor phone signal at home after having Virgin for years. Improves as soon as I call virgin then goes right back down again. So frustrated as it's happening all the time.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor phone signal at home. Improves as soon as I call virgin then goes right back down again

Virgin don't actually operate the mobile side, they're a "virtual provider" running on (until recently) EE which is currently migrating to VF.

Your experience of signal improving when you call VM is a strange one, because there's no technical basis on which that can happen. Except if they moved you between the 2 network operators, but I can't imagine this is something a frontline C/S agent can do.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ashpole
Up to speed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor phone signal at home. Improves as soon as I call virgin then goes right back down again

As you make a voice call the phone might be dropping down to 2G which happens to be stronger, but it wouldn’t just happen on calls to VM. So data signal might be poor but voice call signal might be better.
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ashpole Is correct. If you do not have a phone that uses VoLTE then you can't make calls over 4G and the phone switches either to 3G, or if that is bad 2G.

On finishing the call the signal will revert to 4G

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@annabshort1 wrote:

Poor phone signal at home after having Virgin for years. Improves as soon as I call virgin then goes right back down again. So frustrated as it's happening all the time.

Can you just clarify what you mean by this? I've taken this to mean that you call VM-C/S, you perceive an improvement for a period of time, and then it reverts. This is what I'd assumed, but in hindsight you may not have meant.

Or are you saying that your signal improves when you make or receive a call, and then reverts immediately afterwards? In other words, who the call is to/from is immaterial, just the fact you have held a voice call.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi annabshort1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your Mobile.

I have been able to locate your account and can see you spoke with our team regarding this. 

Do you still require any further assistance with this?

^Martin

0 Kudos
annabshort1
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's correct
0 Kudos
annabshort1
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes I do still require support, it's been ongoing with no solution as yet

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. 

I'm sorry you're continuing to have issues with this. 

Can you confirm if you're having the same issue in other locations other than your house?

^Martin

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Having a quick look at your original post you say you have been with Virgin for some years. I suspect you have now been transitioned away from EE ( Virgin's old supplier) onto Vodafone whose signal comes from different masts.

With that in mind it may be worth looking at the Vodafone checker and putting in your postcode 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker