Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Poor Mobile Signal

Over the last three months, I have contacted Virgin re- poor mobile service in our home. We have a maximum of one bar on our phone and most of the time none. We get calls from friends on our landline telling us they have phoned our mobiles only to be told the number is unobtainable and when they do get though the call drops almost immediately. The response we received from Virgin was "it is your home that is at fault" Although the maximum bars we can get outside our home is 2 and mostly only 1. We were then told it was our phones as they were only 3G and advised to upgrade. Last week we purchased two new phones from Virgin (Samsung A40) and set them up and low and behold the service is exactly the same. Again on contacting Virgin we were told it was our home. Yesterday, family and friends visited us and all had phones with different network providers, all had a minimum of 3 bars and some had 5 inside our home. We have been with Virgin since the days of Comcast and this is how you treat loyal customers. Unless some solution is found, I am cancelling our mobile contracts along with the TV & Broadband and moving elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Mobile Signal

Well Virgin do not supply the signal that is EE so you need to see what someone from EE gets. However EE customers do have access to an extra frequency that is better at penetration of buildings.

The Ofcom checker may give a better picture than the normal Network maps, You will have to search EE but with the same provision.

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

If the signal is poor, not much can be done.

BTW the phone still needs 3G at the moment to make and receive calls so there will be no change there from a 3G phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just checked Ofcom page as suggested, O2 & Vodaphone were the best.EE were amber for voice & Data and 3 were amber for voice and green for data. Strangely they say Virgin use EE, I was told by them that they no longer do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Amber is not good....especially inside.

Virgin do use EE for signal but the rest of the background stuff is theirs.

They have signed up to Vodafone but this does not happen to the end of 2021, start of 2022. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As has been suggested, the best test is to find another friend or relation who is on EE *without* 4G-calling as they will have the exact same level of service as you. That includes AsdaMobile, 1p-Mobile, PlusNet and a few others.

Anyone on EE *with* 4G calling will have additional 4G coverage that will undoubtedly help indoors, wherever it's available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What I can't understand is, whenever I have rang up to complain, they Virgin rep says we are on 4g in our area

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You may have 4G and this will work for data but to take calls on Virgin the phone will have to switch to 3G. This means you will get exactly the same voice service as if you had a 3G phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, looks like I have been conned then, time for a change!

0 Kudos