cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 6 with WiFi calling

RobWatson
Joining in
  • I have a pixel 6 with WiFi calling. I have turned o on WiFi calling in settings, but when I try to make a call, it says that I'm not connected to a network and tells me to connect to a WiFi network. I am already connected to my WiFi network.  Please can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? 
39 REPLIES 39

Hi there @Forty45 

We are so sorry that this has not worked for you, we can confirm that the Pixel 4 is not listed as a  supported device via our site here

We are very sorry again for the confusion.

@Ashleigh_C wrote:

We are so sorry that this has not worked for you, we can confirm that the Pixel 4 is not listed as a  supported device via our site here.

The real question is why doesn't Virgin Mobile support such a popular device? I know that you aren't part of that team, but it's frustrating.

Leggie
Tuning in

@Ashleigh_C @Matthew_ML

Contrary to claims, the linked page does not give a list of WiFi Calling-compatible phones. It gives a list of 4G Calling-compatible phones, which is something quite different.

The link on the page to what should be a list of WiFi Calling-compatible phones doesn't work. The section simply doesn't exist. I can see that team members have suggested on this thread that the list of 4G Calling phones should be taken as equivalent to that of WiFi Calling phones, but that isn't apparent from the page itself, nor should it be inferred from a technical standpoint.

If Virgin can't even update their documentation within a year then it's really no surprise that customers are left confused and annoyed.

Forty45
Tuning in

As already pointed out by others, there is no list of supported devices (or link to a list) on that page.

The Pixel 4 is capable of using WiFi calling. If VM chose not to enable that feature when they were supplying that phone (mine came unlocked from elsewhere) I assume that is why their SIM can't allow it now. The Customer Service agent did ask what the phone was and didn't flag this up as an issue.

Anyway, I'll be looking elsewhere to try and get this feature now.

Hi Leggie. 

Thank you for replying.

Sorry to see the link is not working.

However you can try these steps for us:

Step 1: Start by going to Settings on your Pixel 6. 

Step 2: Once there, look for Network & internet. 

Step 3: Now look for Calls & SMS and tap that. 

Step 4: You will see your SIM under Wi-Fi Calling; make sure that it is disabled.

If you Google your handset model to see if your handset has Wi-Fi Calling as a function.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

A few months back when I was switched to O2 I complained (to O2) that their signal was very poor in a rural area I am at a lot. Saying that all the other providors except EE were also slow. Anyway O2 said they would enable Wi-Fi calling to see if that helped. Looks like it isnt enabled by default. 

A combination of getting the Wi-Fi codes of the local pubs I frequent plus also forking out for a seperate EE SIM which has (had - but thats another story) amazing speeds sorted it out.

I have a Google 6 Pixel Pro and have Wi-Fi calling enabled.

@Arissa_H Thank you; however, I don't have a Pixel 6.

My point was that the page that keeps being cited as containing a list of compatible devices, doesn't.

I have a Moto G 5G Plus which currently has functioning WiFi Calling on Vodafone. It supposedly will work on O2 (not yet tried). It doesn't work on Virgin.

The Virgin Sim is WiFi Calling-enabled (it works in a Samsung A50).

Hi @Leggie, thank you for coming back to us.

Was the device in question purchased from us? If not, unfortunately we cannot guarantee that Wi-Fi Calling will work for you on our network.

Regards,

Daniel

It really shouldn't be relevant whether it's been purchased from the network provider or not. That's just another get-out that the networks hide behind, while happily advertising WiFi Calling on Sim Only contracts.

Hi @Leggie, thank you for your response.

We respect your opinion on this matter, but we can only guarantee that Wi-Fi Calling will work under certain circumstances.

Regards,

Daniel