Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phone useage in Switzerland

I went on holiday to Switzerland in 2018 and was hit by a lot of charges; no issue there I hadn't done my research properly. So on going again this year I was careful not to use my phone, other than the pedometer I have on it as we do a lot of walking. Anyway, having returned home I see I have now incurred charges of £43.67 having (supposedly) used the internet 166 times!! These include charges at 00:00. 01:00. 02:00 etc when I would have been fast asleep! Many of the others are at set times per hour, generally XX.54 or XX.55.

Also, whilst there, I received a text from Virgin Media telling me I was nearly at my £51.50 data limit. If I have such a limit then why am I being told I have run up a bill which is less than that?

Help please!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone useage in Switzerland

Did you actually turn data off on your phone or just not use it actively? There are a lot of apps and other things that will automatically use mobile data for updates.

As your second question about the data cap:
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-roaming-problems-when-abroad

When roaming, we'll help you to avoid surprise mobile bills by capping your data use. We'll text you when you've reached 80% of the data cap, and we'll text you again once you've reached the data cap.

If you've one of the newer Virgin Mobile plans and SIMs you can set an additional Spending Cap which can help you avoid any out of allowance charges:
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-spending-cap

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

I just switched off the phone at the side and occasionally switched it on and off again. I guess I should have powered it off completely, but of course had I done that I wouldn't have been able to use the pedometer, which I was anxious to do.

Clearly I have misunderstood all the terms and conditions, but seeing I never sent any picture messages, or never made or received any calls or voicemails, and never Googled any websites, it's disappointing to receive a bill in excess of £43 for basically doing nothing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Turning the phone off and on will usually be worse than leaving it on and controlling the mobile data usage as required - or leaving mobile data off completely and only connecting to WiFi.

That's because when a smartphone powers up, a good chunk of the installed apps want to talk to their connected services, and this causes a spike in data usage.

As is covered here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-roaming-problems-when-abroad

If you don’t need to stay on top of your emails, while you’re away, it makes sense to switch off data roaming. That way your phone won’t be quietly using the internet to automatically update itself and building you a bigger bill. Most phones love connecting to the web, and they’ll be doing that to update your phone’s software, or even location, without you necessarily knowing.

To switch off data roaming, have a peep at your phone manual. Or check out Virgin Mobile phone support for help.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos