Menu
chasmoran
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phone problem

Hi,

My wife has a Huawei P Smart and I have a Moto G7 Power, both on Virgin plans. We live and work in the Oldham area. Every weekday morning my wife phones - or tries to phone - me, mobile-to-mobile, from work to touch base, ensure everything's okay, etc. However, frequently these days, she can't get through and has to phone our landline instead. This is puzzling: the Virgin accounts are in good shape, we're not blocked on each other's devices, and so on. We did think it might be that her calls were being rejected because I was online, but today I wasn't on the phone at all and she still couldn't get through. I suspect a weak signal, but how to check this? Any other ideas about the cause?

0 Kudos
chasmoran
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PS

PS: I just used the app to check signal strength at our postcode and apparently all the services are "very good", so unless that rating is out of date or liable to unpredictable fluctuations... it's not that.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone problem

Hey @chasmoran,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post about your mobile issues.

I'm sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you on this post.

Please could you try the below to try and help solve this.

On Huawei P smart

1.From the home screen tap Settings.

2.Tap Wireless & networks.

3.Tap Mobile network.

4.Tap Carrier.

5.Tap Automatic.

6.Tap OK.

7.Tap the network you'd like to connect to.

Steps complete

And on the Motorola G7 power

1.From the home screen swipe from the bottom of the screen.

2.Tap Settings.

3.Tap More.

4.Tap Mobile networks.

5.Tap Network operators.

6.Tap your network.

Steps complete

Please try this and let me know if this helps to resolve your issues.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
chasmoran
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven,

Thanks for getting back to us. We haven't tried the suggested solution yet, but we did try ringing my phone from my wife's phone while we were both at home and there was no problem with that.

So I'm wondering: my wife works at an electronics (semiconductor) manufacturing company and has been trying to phone me from the break area within the building.

Is it possible that there is some kind of electronic shielding or interference related to the manufacturing process? Is it a known issue with phone networks in general, that they are susceptible to disruption in this kind of industrial environment?

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is possible, has your wife always had issues calling you from her place of work or is this a recent issue?

We could also check to see if there has been any mast issues in the area around where your wife works but that would require the postcode and if you were comfortable giving that over a public platform.

Finally, have either yourself or your wife been migrated over to Vodafone? They are our new network provider and some accounts have been transferred over to them, have you been notified of this recently?

Rob

0 Kudos
chasmoran
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is intermittent, and may have happened occasionally in the past, but I noticed the occurrence seems more frequent recently.

I don't think there's a security issue in sharing the postcode. It's OL9 9LL.

We haven't had notification of being migrated to Vodafone, unless it was buried in some lengthy "Change to Terms and Conditions" message, which we'd have carefully ignored.

Regards...

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

• Screenshot_20210301-204035_Chrome.jpg

 This is EE There are no network Problems showing on Vodafone 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey @chasmoran,

Do you both have WiFi calling turned on on both your handsets?

If you do have it on, please can you try to turn it off and test if the problems still happen?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos