Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Phone number not working

I recently signed up for a new mobile plan and iphone SE, I transferred my phone number over from my previous provider. I cant receive any text messages or phone calls, when I go to 'messages' in settings it a pop up says 'An error occurred during activation' this also happens for FaceTime. I also cant receive any phone calls. When I've asked someone to try call it wont even connect.

I've tried looking up a solution by myself but nothing seems to work, it appears like my number hasn't been connected properly on Virgins side when transferring it over. 

I've tried calling to speak to someone but customer service is closed so I'm stuck with a phone that only half works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone number not working

Hi Caroline12, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Really sorry that you're number isn't working since you've brought it over to us, I know you're keen to get this sorted. 

As you mentioned you have an iPhone can you just check the following:

Settings > Phone > My number: Can you make sure the number is showing correctly? 

Let us know and if it's still an issue we can assist further.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

There is an issue I am aware off with Apple is that when you port number the phone  number doesnt update on the Apple Server dynamically to resolve this you need to do the following.

1) Sign out of your Apple ID

2) Turn off the phone and then back on.

3) Sign into your Apple ID.

This will force the number to update on the Apple servers and will resolve your problem.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

Thanks for your reply. I have checked this before and changed it to my number but it still doesn't work with the change. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi DJ

Thank you for your reply. I have tried this and had some issue logging back in because they text you a confirmation code, since I cant receive text messages I had to wait 2 days for Apple to sort this out and add someone else's number to receive the text. 

Although after all that and my number has changed to the correct one, I still can't receive text messages or phone calls. 

In Settings > Messages > Send & Receive - it lists my phone number and email address. my email is ticked and when I try to tick on my phone number it just wont work, there is just a continuous loading circle.  

0 Kudos