Just received a new SIM card for Nokia 3310 V10.03 11.2 TA 1008 because of the network changes.
It was supposed to be a simple process - just swap the SIMs. No such luck. When I switch the phone on it is asking for a Security Code (not the unlock code that they send to some people). (This is not the SIM PIN code). The default 12345 Nokia gave me does not work, nor any previous security code. Nokia said the phone was not SIM Locked.
Spoken to both Virgin Media and Nokia. Virgin Media say they have to raise some ticket for the phone (gave them the IMEI number) and send this to Nokia to get the Security Code - this could take a month. Not exactly clear what the problem is, but they say that some phones may not work on the new network. If this is the case, I will have to buy a new phone.
Nothing of this was mentioned in the letter.
Apparently I am the first person to have this problem. I guess anyone with the same phone is going to have the same problem.
Anyone know what is going on here and might be able to shed some light on this. Don't want to buy a new phone as I like the Nokia 3310 as it is simple, just a phone - no smart stuff.
Thanks for the reply. Have now got the new SIM working and it may have been pilot error. The code that it asked for was not the unlock code Virgin may send with the new SIM nor was it the PIN. It was the Security Code that can be set when setting phone security. It must be stored on the phone. I had set up a PIN and must have at some time changed the Security Code from its default of 12345. This code is sometimes used to lock the phone as well as the SIM and is requested if the SIM is changed. Unlike PIN, it does not restrict to three attempts before locking. It seems you can enter a code five times and then it ignores any more attempts. You then have to wait 5 minutes. I did enter the correct Security Code but had entered my PIN and various defaults first. Maybe it was 5 times but can't be sure now. Anyway, how I got the phone working was to put the old SIM back, switch off all phone security (which needed the correct Security Code - worked this time). Then I put the new SIM in and it all worked. Has to reinstate the Phone Security and set up PIN code again. Hope this is all it was and not something to do with Java firmware. Thanks for you response.