cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Not Working

cab132
Joining in

Since the switch from EE to O2 my phone has become very unreliable which is not great as I use it solely for work.

I live in an area with poor signal, however a couple of years ago an EE mast was installed which is why I got a contract with Virgin.  Generally in the house I used WiFi calling as the signal wasn't reliable enough to solely depend on it.

Since I got my new SIM card earlier this month and the switch has been made to the O2 I can hardly make a phone call, occasionally it works but usually once I've dialled the number it just offers two options, a call failed button and a redial button.  Sometimes if I turn it off it works but not for very long.  When people ring in it usually goes straight to answer phone so I pick up the messages when I go out and get signal.

Alternatively I get a message to say I've got a voicemail even though the phone hasn't rung, but I get the same option when trying to call voicemail of call failed or redial.  Again sometimes if I turn it off and on again I can listen to the voicemail.  If I'm lucky I pick up all of it and if not the call fails part way through listening to the message.

Also the numbers usually show in a funny format, rather than the regular 07123 456789.

I'm on software version 15.4 and my phone is an iPhone XR.  If anyone has any suggestions as to how to sort this out I would be very grateful.

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to say that Virgin signal has moved to Vodafone not O2

There map / status checker is on this link.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you sorry my error, it doesn't make a difference as EE is the only signal that works down here.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cab132 wrote:

Thank you sorry my error, it doesn't make a difference as EE is the only signal that works down here.

If that is the case you should be able to move penalty free. However, the Team will probably want to go through with some options first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @cab132,

Welcome, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your mobile signal, does it work better when you are not at home? Have you tried using the SIM in a different handset to see if it works properly?

Also have you checked the coverage in your area? 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks Hayley, it works very reliably when I'm not at home and out in signal. I haven't checked coverage as there isn't any so I'm relying solely on WiFi at home.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the update on this @cab132.

What happens when you do check the coverage checker? Does it not work for you?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

cab132_0-1648829999971.png

WE're very rural!

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for showing me this, unfortunately we are limited to what we can do regarding this.

We would allow you to leave with no penalty, as we do not seem to cover your home.

I hope this helps with what to do next.

Many thanks, 

Hayley
Forum Team

Hi Hayley

Thank you for coming back to me.  Unfortunately I think that is possibly my only option which is a shame as I've had wonderful service from Virgin.  How do I got about this?