cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not recieving texts through Wifi Calling

doubter
On our wavelength

I live in an area with no mobile signal. I have recently turned on WiFi calling and can now make and receive mobile phone calls at home. I can send text messages. Unfortunately, I am not receiving text messages sent to me, and those that I know have been sent do not appear when I later enter an area where I get a Virgin Mobile signal. 

My internet is provided by BT. I am using a 4G sim.

Is there a setting that I need to change?

118 REPLIES 118

FMS would be the mobile networking support team. I've sent you a PM to confirm your mobile account details.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Corey_C wrote:

FMS would be the mobile networking support team. I've sent you a PM to confirm your mobile account details.

Hopefully if enough people report it as an issue it will be escalated.

It's been around 3 weeks so far with no response from them.

doubter
On our wavelength

Hi, how do I go about reporting this too? - Although I started the original post, I have never had any direct response from Virgin, despite them responding to others in the thread. Perhaps I'm not using this platform correctly? For some reason, this post now shows 'Solved' on my screen - nothing's solved! 

Virgin support:  If there is a fix, I would like to be included in it please. Every time anyone in the house needs to receive a text, I have to go through the performance of perching the phone on the top of a particular bedroom window to squeak enough signal to receive it, and if that fails, as it often does, then it's a 5 minute walk to the middle of the village, to get a slim signal or on a bad day, a drive to the next village. It's just silly. Make it work properly!

Ive got the same issue here.

Moved into a new house in late December. I have zero 4G coverage anywhere in the house as its in the middle of a small village in the countryside. 

Have exactly the same issue where I cannot receive text messages. Most weeks as I'm working from home I go out once or twice. Only when I pick up 4G do I get my messages. Which is a pain in the backside with online banking as a lot of it requires OTP codes that are sent via text.

Only option is to go and stand in the upper part of the village.

Decided to phone customer services to try and resolve the issue and it was just reading off script.

Asked me to go into my network settings and scan networks...…...I had to explain three times that I have NO coverage within the house. Still didn't understand. Couldn't go outside or would have lost the call.

So still here with no incoming messages.

Samsung Galaxy S10.

Please Virgin can you sort this for me and what looks like many others.

Abijsmith
On our wavelength

I have no signal. I have WiFi calling enabled. No problem with WiFi. Receive calls. Can send texts. NEVER receive texts. When will Virgin fix this issue? It’s a pain as most verification codes are sent by text. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to update the thread a message from Sunday (31st Jan):

Hi Carl, I am sorry for the delayed reply and we are still waiting information, we have asked the WiFi calling project team for an update and hopefully this will be received soon. Chris. 

I've been waiting for a year now, so a bit longer won't hurt. Would be nice to see the back of it though. I'm sure fed up of having to run round the top of the house trying to get a signal so I can login to my bank!

Yes, me too. I have to

a) turn WiFi calling off (you can’t get normal SMS when on and there’s a signal),

b), go into the village to get a signal,

c), hang around in the rain until the various confirmation texts come through,

d) go home and warm up,

e) turn WiFi calling back on for calls for work (yes, calls work), f) carry on with working from home.

IT’S A JOKE! Virgin deny there’s a problem. Well Virgin, there IS a problem. 

Posted the following earlier before finding this thread!

Mobile phone does not receive text messages

I upgraded my phone on 4th February to Samsung A42 5G.

I soon realised that I was not receiving texts, some not at all, some intermittently and some after a long delay.

I soon realised that the text messages I did receive arrived when I was out of WiFi coverage.

I spoke with a chap in Virgin Mobile Customer Services and after much head scratching  and dianostics his solution was to send me a new SIM Card.

I received this at the weekend  and having installed it I am still experiencing the same issue.

Today, I did some experimenting.

First I disabled WifI and sent a text message to my friend, asking him to respond by text if/when he received the message.

The system told me the text had been delivered, my friend received it, he responded to me and I received his response.

I then enabled WiFi and sent another text to my friend, again asking him to respond by text if/when he received the message.

The system again told me the text had been delivered, he responded to me, but this time I received no response.

Later on, when I was away from home and out of WiFi coverage, his response to message number 2 arrived.

I spoke with another chap in Virgin Mobile Customer Services who was very helpful and tried various diagnostics including resetting Network Services. All to no avail. He eventually said he would need to pass the issue to the Fault Management Team and I am awaiting a call from them.

I have become aware that other people are having the same issue and that the finger is pointing at WiFi Calling as the culprit. I thought I would turn off WiFi Calling, but can't find out how to do that.

However, that is potentially adequate (if it works) as a workaround but it is not a solution and is unsatisfactory. I am paying for a service that is not being delivered.

Whilst some of this is inconvenient, a lot of it is not.

My GP Surgery, like many others, uses text messaging to alert me to things I need to know, including issues like getting a COVID-19 vaccinatiion. Not receiving one of those texts is certainly more than an inconvenience.

Many apps nowadays use text messaging to issue security codes to enable secure access. I have not been able to receive any of those messages until after their expiry time. That is not an inconvenience.

Much as I would like to use the Text Messaging Service 07533016422 advertised above, it would be pointless because I have no faith that I would receive a text message  sent to me by it!

Does anyone know of a solution to this issue?

Nope - still waiting.