cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service on sim - a frequency issue?

Tington
On our wavelength

Are there compatibility issues between iphone XR and Virgin SIMs? Could it be a frequency issue?

About a month ago data suddenly stopped working (no service). Tried a new SIM -- same thing. SIM cards for other networks DO work in this phone, and the new SIM does work in other phones. It seems to be that something changed a month ago that affects the particular combination of the iphone XR and Virgin's network. 

Any insights or suggestions?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say data stopped working but does that include calls as well.

Is it in more than one place?

Only thing I can think of is you have been moved onto Vodafone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tington
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, both calls and data have gone awol (we can revert to WiFi calling). And yes, everywhere. It really does have the feel that something is stopping that phone (or type of phone) reading that type of Virgin SIM. But calls to Virgin have got me no-where.

According to my account page on Virgin Media I'm still paying them for calls and data. How does Vodafone come into the picture?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin have no masts of their own, they are what's known as a Mobile Network Virtual Operator (MNVO) Up to now they have used EE for signal but that is ending and customers are being move to Vodafone.

If the problem is in more than one place then the fault probably lies elsewhere.

You can check Vodafone coverage here.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tington
On our wavelength

Again, thanks. 

We have a Vodafone mobile user in the household so I don't think that's the issue, as that network works fine for them. Unless it's something about the frequency which I've seen mentioned in a couple of places but don't fully understand. It was odd that the calls/data worked fine up until about a month ago on this device and with a Virgin SIM, and then just stopped -- something changed, which I guess could have been a network change. But even if so, Virgin haven't hitherto been able to provide a solution or help or understanding of the issue. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Won't be a network change then and all Vodafone frequencies can be handled by your phone. 

Will your SIM work in another phone?

@enlli On the iPhone XR it could be the SIM roaming setting, I had that problem too on an XR during my brief time with VM.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks @ashpole 

@Tington 

Try this...

Go to: Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications (near bottom) -> tap "Roaming"  -> tap "Select Mode"

Tap manual -> then choose National.

Tington
On our wavelength

Thanks both.

Gave that a try, but still "No Service".

And in answer to a previous query, the Sim does work in another phone. It's the particular combination of the VM Sim in the (or this) iphoneXR which continues to harbour some mystery. 

Hi Tington,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues with your Virgin SIM in your iPhone XR over the past month, I have to say this is most strange. I haven't come across any issues similar to this exclusive to the XR. My partner has an iPhone XR and is with Virgin, he's never mentioned any issues such as these.

Can you think of anything at all that could have triggered any changes to the handset or the SIM before the SIM stopped working in this phone? I understand that the Virgin SIM works OK in other handsets, but have you had a replacement SIM sent out to you in attempt to rectify this?

Thanks

Beth

Beth