Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No Wifi Calling ??? Why ???

Just got brand new SIM from Virgin Mobile which I would like to transfer my Vodafone number to.

However, despite marketing blurbs "we got now wifi-calling" I have found out that due to some bizarre reasons this useful feature is not available to all users but only to Samsung and Apple handset owners...

How strange...

I have 2 SIMs currently in my handset and when I chose Vodafone then I can turn on/off wifi-calling (and VoLTE), however when I chose Virgin then such option disappears.

So, there is nothing wrong with my phone, no firmware update needed, no newer Android version needed as it works very well with other networks (Voda, EE) in wifi-calling mode but not with Virgin.

This is important feature to me and I cannot understand why Virgin limits it to certain manufacturers only.

I am afraid I will have to seriously reconsider cancelling my new Virgin Mobile SIM if this issue cannot be sorted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No Wifi Calling ??? Why ???

Both WiFi Calling and VoLTE need support within firmware for each network's version.

Because other networks have offered WiFi Calling for longer that Virgin Media, then a wider range of devices support multiple version of WiFi Calling within the UK.

For instance say Vodafone offered WiFi Calling in 2015 when the Samsung S6 came out. That means that Samsung can include the Vodafone settings for WiFi Calling in all later handsets where the networks allow them to. But a Galaxy S4 may not work with WiFi Calling as it came out before the settings were added to firmware by Samsung.

Virgin Media launched WiFi Calling this year, so it will be limited to new devices from manufacturers they work with, and existing devices that have an appropriate firmware update.

Currently Virgin Media don't offer VoLTE on any device. When they add it, the same principle will likely apply, as VoLTE and WiFi Calling are pretty much the same thing just over different data connections.

Saying all of the above, all UK networks have disclaimers to say they can only really guarantee that WiFi Calling works on handsets bought directly from the network:

• Vodafone: All the devices on this page will support WiFi calling when you buy them directly from us. Please note that phones bought from other UK telecom providers are unlikely to support our WiFi calling, with the exception of iPhones, which should work regardless.
  • EE: WiFi Calling is supported on iPhone, Blackberry, Android and Windows devices bought directly from EE in one of our stores and online
  • O2: On some Android devices, Wifi and 4G Calling will only work if you’re using O2 firmware. That’s essentially the software that makes your device turn on and run. Sometimes there are different versions of firmware for the same device.Find out more and check if your device is compatible.
  • Three: If you have a compatible phone that you’ve bought from Three, and you're running the latest system software, you don't need to do anything - Wi-Fi Calling will just work when you need it.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Really insightful.
Although my handset is a little oldish as it is Oneplus3 (3-4 years) but still works with Voda SIM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Vodafone don't officially list OnePlus for WiFi Calling according to their website, so I'm not sure what OnePlus themselves are doing to make it work.

If a device manufacturer works out how to do without official network support then it's a customer bonus, but it does mean there is no support if it's inconsistent or if it fails.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own