Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No Mobile Service Abroad - Again

Last year I went to Europe and had no phone signal even though roaming was enabled. I phoned support when I got back and was told that they needed to enable something for it to work.

Three weeks ago I contacted them again to make sure all was set for another European trip. I was told everything was as it should be. On arrival I had no phone service. Manually trying to connect gives the message 'Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network'.

My wifes Virgin phone worked flawlessly. I contacted customer service from her phone but they said they couldn't fix it. Do I need a replacement SIM?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Mobile Service Abroad - Again

Hi mingsy,

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns, I'm sorry that you've been having difficulties using your mobile abroad.

If you spoke to our dedicated mobile team before leaving the UK, I'm confident that they amended all the appropriate settings from our end.

Have you ensured that roaming is also switched on for your handset itself? Do you see the same error message whichever network you attempt to connect to?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael,

Yes roaming is enabled on the handset and I get the same error message in all networks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the update Mingsy.

Can I also just confirm, have you already tried to refresh your network settings through your handset? If you're unsure on how to do this please let us know which handset you're using and we can advise on where to find this.

Have you also tried to reinsert your SIM in your handset and reset this? 

Let me know how these go.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily

I did try removing and inserting the sim but it still didn't work.

The thing is I'm back now so cannot try anything else. I don't know how to ensure it doesn't happen next time I'm away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We wouldn't be able to do any checks now that you're back in the UK, however, if you'd like to be sure the settings are all correct for your next trip you can contact our team to check the roaming services are activated just before your trip.

The number for the mobile team is 789/0345 600 0789 or they also have an SMS service through +44753 301 6422.

Also, if you do still have any trouble abroad feel free to note down the tests I've mentioned above to try get everything up and running, although, you should be able to use the services fine. 

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

It was 789 (the mobile team) I spoke to about a week before I left this time and they assured me all was OK.

How do I refresh the network settings on a Galaxy S8?

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We'd do it for you on your account, if you pop us a message next time you're away we can do it for you. 

Also do you have an app on your phone, it's our SIM tool kit and looks like a little SIM card and settings cog? 

If you have it then you can try activating roaming on there by doing the following:

Select Apps from the Home Screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select International-you are done, go back to Home Screen

To Switch back when in the UK:
Select Apps from Home screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Automatic and go back to Home Screen