cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G option on SIM

Mumblemiler
Tuning in

Hi all,

Joined Virgin Mobile this week from Three as I have Virgin broadband and my wife is on Virgin too.

I have a Motorola G 5G phone which I've been using on 5G with Three with no problem at all. Have put new Virgin SIM in, and am only getting 4G+ (despite being in a 5G area) and there is also no option on the SIM to set preferred network type to 5G. Only options listed are 4G, 3G and 2G.

Particularly disappointed as I signed up to a 5G service and this is what is listed on my account.

Any ideas/help gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This from the Sky forum

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Mobile/No-5g-option-on-Moto/td-p/3628306

Seems its Motorola who are lax

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Bad news I'm afraid. After some digging through past discussions it appears that at present Motorola do not support 5G on Virgin, ID mobile or Sky. It will require Lenovo ( Motorola maker) to produce the necessary carrier updates.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Well, that's frustrating and nothing mentioned on the FAQs when ordering as all it says is a 5G enabled device.

If I'd known that, I might have availed myself of a new phone instead of a SIM only plan.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This from the Sky forum

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Mobile/No-5g-option-on-Moto/td-p/3628306

Seems its Motorola who are lax

Useful info on that thread. Thank you.