Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

New SIM not recognised by my phone

Finally received one of Virgins' new SIM cards. Put it in my phone and get message "insert correct SIM card". 

I'm told I need an unlock code so on 27/8/2020 I submitted the Virgin online form for the code. Was quoted receipt within 72 hours but is now way past that deadline. 

As the letter I received said that I had to activate within 30 days of the date on the letter (25/8/2020), the days are rapidly counting down. 

Had no luck whatsoever with Virgin themselves by phone or online, so this forum is a last resort. Can anyone help with this or do I just join the queue of people leaving Virgin?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM not recognised by my phone

I have also received 2 texts from Virgin telling me they have set up voicemail for my number, plus another text reminding me to put my new SIM in my phone as I only have 30 days to do so. It directs me to virginmedia.com/simhelp which is of no use whatsoever as it does nothing to help at all.

I am currently using my old SIM card as the new one gave the message shown in post 1 of this thread.

STILL waiting for Virgin to reply with my unlock code, after 8 days (and counting) I think they've missed their 72 hour deadline.

I now have just 20 days left of the quoted 30 days for Virgin to help unlock my phone; have had no response or help so far (in a previous thread that lasted over a month!), so I would appreciate SOMEONE from Virgin looking into this please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi GaryB5

Thanks for posting. My apologies you've not received the unlock code.

I'll PM you now.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

John, PM sent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi GaryB5,

Can you get your Wife to register and message me directly please? As it's her account we'll need to speak to her

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

John, my wife has had to set up an account just so you can speak to me about my phone. She has sent you a PM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are just taking the **bleep** now! Sending me various texts reminding me to activate my new SIM or lose service... what do you think I've been trying to do for over a month????

Still haven't passed security checks to enable us to get unlock code for my phone. Virgin must have more info about us than we do! Beyond a joke now!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

After finally being allowed to speak to Virgin after passing all the security checks, we are given 2 unlock codes for my phone.

Guess what, neither of them are accepted by my phone, and today I find I'm unable to send a text (which happened to be an emergency!!!!).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Have now been offered a replacement phone as my existing Sony Ericsson is unsuitable for the new Virgin SIM. 

Is this free, or on a £7 per month contract?

As I am currently on an old PAYG phone, I would like to continue with this arrangement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just received a text from Virgin warning me to insert new SIM within 18 days or my phone will be cut off! Nice one!!! 

It's already taken over a month to pass Virgins' security and website to try and sort this out. My wife has had to act as intermediary (when she's not at work) as Virgin won't talk to me as they stuck my phone on her account; you can't make this stuff up, it's farcical. There's data protection and then there's common bloody sense! We asked why I couldn't have my own account number...still waiting for an answer!

Still waiting for replacement phone, as my old phone is deemed obsolete (works just fine until this SIM fiasco), although Virgin can't tell me what phone they're sending. If I don't receive this phone within this new 18 day deadline I presume I'll need another new SIM as I wouldn't have been able to activate the current one in the allowed time? Then this whole process starts all over again.

How are Virgin still in business?

0 Kudos