Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New SIM. No 4g. How long to wait?

Received new SIM on Saturday. Installed y'day into my Galaxy Note 4 (running Android 8.1 Oreo through Resurrection Remix). Everything went swimmingly until I received the text saying I'd receive messages to update things and to follow instructions. This was immediately followed by another text saying, "Great!" and that everything was working fine!

Well, no it wasn't. I didn't get any setup notifications. Tried several times. Instead, did a search and found this to be quite common and that someone posted APN details for Data and MMS. Don't know if I have typed in the correct details for what I need but, at least, I can go on Internet, etc (although have yet to try out MMS....).

What is a concern is my status bar shows full strength but that I'm only receiving H or H+. 

Have checked Virgin coverage for where we live and 4g is "excellent". Also, today, drove to Oxford, Witney then onto Banbury. Still only H or H+. 

Is there a reason why I'm not getting 4g? 

Have double checked my Data connection settings and the choices are, 2g, 3v or 4g. Obviously, 4g is ticked. 

Is it anything to do with not being able to get 4g until my new plan starts at the beginning of next month? (I had a 3g plan, in fact I've been with Virgin longer than I can remember!)

Any help or advice will be greatly received. 

Andy

0 Kudos
Superstar
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM. No 4g. How long to wait?

The 4g will kick in on your refresh date - when the 4g plan starts.

Plan payments are made a month ahead, so last refresh day, you paid for a month of 3g for this month.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Excellent news. That's all I needed to hear. Thank you. 

BTW, do you know /have access to what the correct APN settings should be for my phone? Just want to double check the ones I typed in match what they should be.

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The APN settings should be as in link below, either the two seperate ones or in the one combined.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/New-Purple-Virgin-Mobile-SIM-and-need-the-APN-set...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.