cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Contract and a new O2 SIM

nmcculloch
On our wavelength

i have just renegotiated my VM contract and this will mean a new SIM for my phone.  My phone already has an O2 SIM. My existing O2 Contract is of lower quality to the new O2 SIM via the VM Contract. Therefore, I want to replace my existing O2 SIM with the new one. via VM. The last thing i want to do is have to pay for 2 O2 SIMS.... Can I port an existing O2 number to the new O2 SIM? I feel i am about to be sucked down an O2/VM rabbit hole....

Has anyone been through this scenario already?

Nick

11 REPLIES 11

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No. You cannot do an internal port. The only work around is to PAC out the old SIM onto something like a cheap PAYG with another network and when complete PAC back in onto the new SIM 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @nmcculloch,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.

@enlli, has summed this up perfectly, I cannot add anything else to the point made.

Regards,

Steven_L

pcg33kuk
Dialled in
On o2 you can do this, but you will have to pay off your existing contract, and any termination fees associated with

Have a look on the o2 community and one of the Guides which is MIgrating and porting your number to the new o2 contract.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Migration-amp-porting-into-O2/td-p/1236062

This problem must be coming up more and more now that VM/O2 are together. You would have thought there would be a simple way of resolving this.  Can I therefore cancel the O2 bit of my new contract with VM that I took out today?  Basically the O2 SIM is pointless to me.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I understood it, if you already had an O2 account with any existing Pay Monthly plans, then it's that account that can be 'Supercharged' and linked to your cable services via O2 (either My O2 or via O2 Customer Services). You shouldn't need to take out another O2 SIM to get a Volt bundle deal with Virgin Media.

I'd suggest you speak to O2 Customer Services (0344 809 0202) to work out what can now be done - it's possible they can cancel the new SIM and link your existing SIM. That would avoid any PAC or EDFs.

There is a 14 day cancellation period for new SIM sales on O2

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/returning-your-device

Can I return my sim only contract?

If you’ve taken out a sim only contract in store, over the phone or online, you can change your mind within 14 days of receiving your order. If you do want to cancel your agreement, contact us to let us know and we’ll get it sorted. We won’t ask you to return your sim, all you need to do is cut the sim in half once it’s stopped working.

We’ll give you back all the payments you’ve made, apart from any buy-out fee from your previous contract or any express delivery charges. You also have to pay any usage charges you’ve had in that time.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

nmcculloch
On our wavelength

Cancelled the new O2 SIM that was issued when re-negotiating the VM contract. I SHOULD HAVE been asked at that point if I already had an O2 Contratc.. VM failed me there...

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you now not apply for Volt benefits through that SIM in My O2?

https://www.o2.co.uk/virgin-media-o2

Already with Virgin Media broadband and O2 Pay Monthly mobile?

Check your eligibility and activate your Volt benefits in My O2, at no extra cost. To be eligible, your O2 Pay Monthly plan must be registered in the same name and to the same address as your Virgin Media broadband.

nmcculloch
On our wavelength

I have done. O2 are instigating an "investigation" that could take up to 2 weeks.  All because VM agent didnt ask me if I had an existing O2 account when setting up new contract, giving me a pile of hassle trying to get it resolved.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Agreed it's not a great situation, I hope it gets sorted for you and you get the setup you expect.