cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Virgin Media EE to Virgin Media Vodafone

munrobasher
Up to speed

Some clarity on timing, process and legal position. In our local town, we're aware that VM are moving away from EE to Vodafone first and then probably O2 in the future.

Both networks are very poor in our town. Questions:

1. What are the timelines for this? I've read end 21/Jan 22 which is now...
  2. Do we get advance notice of when this switch will occur?
  3. Do we need to use a new SIM?
  4. Are we able to cancel the contract because of this change?

Cheers, Rob.

13 REPLIES 13

munrobasher
Up to speed
I've got an Virgin EE SIM - I could be moved at any point but for sure by Jan 22? Do they give notice? Because neither Vodafone or O2 is any good in our town. Jan 22 is but a month away?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1. They are playing shy on giving exact dates.

2. Those that have changed received no notice

3. In most cases a new SIM card will not be required. You will be notified if you do.

4. So far no cancellations of contract. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will more than likely just be changed. That's what has happened to date.

If you are out of contract you can get a PAC code now as they are valid for 30 days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for that - their communication and transparency on this is pretty poor. The post on our community FB is active now. Two people so far have reported that their phone stopped working without notice. So they contacted VM and were advised their SIM had failed and that they needed a new SIM. Transpires the SIM had not failed but VM had moved them off EE (maybe to O2) without notice and that's why their phone stopped - their old SIM stopped working.

New SIM arrives and signal is horrible. One of them has got in touch with VMB and they switched his account back to EE and magically his old SIM started working. Lucky he kept it...

But a supplemental question - this person who asked to be switched back - is this a very short term thing and they'll be forced to switch soon anyway? Or is there some legal part of the contract that means VMB have to keep supplying an EE service? But until when - end of contract or forever or some other time? My contract is monthly...

My phone is my lifeline to family and can't risk it been cut off for even a day.

Sorry another question - are they moving people to O2 or Vodafone? I thought they had a 5 year deal with Vodafone and were using that until the merger with O2 was complete. Or has that now changed and they can use O2?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All moves are to Vodafone. The move to O2 is quite a way off as the deal with Vodafone was for 5 years.

The contract with EE finishes next month so any move back will be temporary 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are in a 30 day rolling contract I would suggest getting a PAC code to move. They are valid for 30 days.

Thanks for that - you are indeed an insightful person. More so than Virgin Media 😉

Have gone for Plusnet in the end as EE is the only real option here. Did dabble with id-Mobile (Three) but their transmitter is on the same mast as Vodafone and O2 so has the same problem. id-Mobile do offer Wi-Fi calling which Plusnet don't but I've now got a Teams phone number so that's less of a problem. Virgin never offered Wi-Fi calling anyway.