cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Data

Emma340
Joining in

I have just received a text stating I’d used 75% of my data only 10 days after it was refreshed. This is highly unusual so having checked my bill I noticed I was being charged for data usage even when I was at home on my WiFi (and I get virtually no cell reception at home so WiFi assist should not have kicked in).
Having called Virgin mobile I have been told that I need manually switch mobile data off when I get home and go onto my WiFi and switch it back on again when I leave the house. My understanding was that if you were on WiFi it only used your data if the WiFi signal was poor and you had WiFi assist on... surely this will lead to the ridiculous situation whereby every time I go in and out of a wifi area I’m going to have to manually change my settings - can someone please advise if this is actually right? 
Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

ashpole
Superfast
I’m assuming you have an iPhone, then your assumption is correct. That said, the iPhone when on Wi-Fi will still use some mobile data but we’re talking a very small amount in the scheme of things.

Might want to check things like podcasts, videos, photos etc are set to up/download on Wi-Fi only.

If you go into Settings>Mobile Data you’ll see a list of apps using mobile data and how much. Reset the stats and watch it for a few days.

Thank you, I already do all of that because I’ve come close to using all my data before but only towards the end of the month. 

It just seems strange that it’s started now, and it’s even connecting to mobile data in the middle of the night when I’m asleep and definitely not using my phone 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Emma340,

Most newer handsets will still bypass wifi connections and use data. This is unfortunately down to how the app is coded and functions. The recommendation to manually switch off your mobile data is the main way to ensure no app is using mobile data in the background. Also depending on the make/model of your phone, you can go into the phone's menu to see which app is the culprit for data usage as @ashpole advised. The behavioural change of your mobile phone is likely to be due to app or os updates, which the developer might view as helpful improvements, like downloading updated map info overnight.

Cheers,

Corey C

That’s really helpful to understand, thank you 

You're welcome, Emma340.