Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Massive, inexplicable spike in data usafe

I wonder if someone from VM could help with this please. I have a plan with 6GB of data and I always roll over about 3GB every month. Always.

Since my allowance was refreshed on 19 January, I have apparently used up 9GB of data! In 12 days! I fail to see how this is possible as my usage has been no different from any other month: moderate web browsing, youtube, no new apps, no gaming, nothing out of the ordinary at all. I use my phone occasionally in the day for internet but I work full time and use wifi in the evenings.

Can anyone advise on how this could be, please? Is it possible for VM to analyse my data usage to see what has caused this? I'm loathe to buy more data, especially if this is an error. How can I prevent this happening again? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help. And please don't tell me to call VM....Life's too short!

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive, inexplicable spike in data usafe

What does it say on your phone for data usage?

Search in your settings for "data usage"

You can set it to your billing date and set a limit.

If you click details it should show the data used by individual apps, you might need to move the left side blue marker all the way to the left to show the whole total. 

Virgin can't investigate the data usage themselves as it just shows as data on their side.

It's most likely some background data usage, or possibly app or system updates while on mobile data. 

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'd echo everything Paul has said - the best investigations are on your phone itself. Not sure whether you're using iOS or Android, but there should be a menu to break down data use by dates and apps - and you might need to be monitoring individual apps down to individual days, depending how concerned you are.

If that fails to resolve and it's still a problem, then you're going to be looking at uninstalling suspect apps and monitoring further.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies

0 Kudos