Menu
Nibbler1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Massive Mobile Price increase

Just received a lovely email from Virgin to tell me my plan will no longer be available, but not to worry they are moving me to a new plan from April at £13 per month.  I currently pay £4!  I currently get 1gb plus a lifetime 4gb x date until 31st December 2099.  I rang customer service and just ended up going round and round in circles.  Tried to ask to be put through to complaints, but was told they would just tell me the same, that my plan is ending.  When I queried the 'lifetime' I was told that if I read the T & C's they can put the price up whenever they like.  So much for 'lifetime' - its been a very short one.  Extremely misleading.  I also have 2 other phones for family members, but they couldn't tell me if they are going to increase or not! Want to change suppliers as I have had enough of the poor service I always get and loyalty means nothing to them.  My daughter has a SIM contract with Tesco's and they have UK call centres and are always really helpful. How can I tell if my handset can take another SIM - its a Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 - the contract is due to end in July, but understand from the email that I can end the airtime contract before the end of March and continue paying the handset until it's paid off.  Any advice really appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive Mobile Price increase

You should be OK. Phones bought in the last few years are unlocked.

teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You could pop your daughter's Tesco's SIM in your phone for testing if unlocked ok.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Keith9534
Dialled in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I`m in the same boat and have had loads of time wasted by 789 service handlers.

This morning Ive cancelled EVERYTHING with Virgin.

I`m mifffed that LIFETIME data multiplyers which made good contracts are now being taken away from people if you make use of them - Two contracts EXACTLY the same, where one is used well and is being withdrawn while one is being allowed to continue!

This is fair and square abuse of contract law

Waiting for my deadlock letter which I`m guessing will never arrive

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

you don't need a deadlock letter - you can leave as the price rise is above RPI - are you sure you know what you are on about?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nibbler1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your advice.  I am planning to cancel all 3 mobile accounts, even though I only have one with an increase - so far!  It's not just the inflated price rise it's their appalling customer service and the way I was spoken to on the phone yesterday. My next battle will be my Virgin Media TV/Broadband/Telephone as my 'loyalty discount' is due to end next month.  Currently must give Virgin well over £100 per month with handsets, mobile airtime/tv etc.  Would just cancel the lot, but unfortunately no longer have a BT line into the house - so would need to get wired up again.

0 Kudos
Keith9534
Dialled in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Deadlock letter - I am expecting one very soon as they have said they will issue it.

I can then escalate my concerns.

If they just don`t do what they said they would, then I have the phone call recorded so will escalate in any case.

I gave Virgin every opportunity to answer my questions ( even when they said that £10.33 was an RPI increase only ) but they can`t be honest

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nibbler1

Thank you for posting on our community forum pages. 

We are making a limited number of price changes for some of our mobile customers. These price changes enable us to invest on our network, services and products. We can appreciate that any price rises can be disappointing.

Thank you for calling our team to discuss this. However we are sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the level of customer service received. 

In cases when customers have been changed onto another tariff this has been done based on current allowances and usage.

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Yottskry
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

"We are making a limited number of price changes for some of our mobile customers."

Limited? Seems to be that loads of people are complaining. Are you sure you're not just lying to us, David?

I've had enough of Virgin. Your customer support is crap. You can expect a call from me today or tomorrow to request my PAC.

0 Kudos
Keith9534
Dialled in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I`ve escalated to CISAS
0 Kudos